Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2003 5:08:52 PM EDT
Simple question.

What's the best shtf FAL for the money?  

Will be used for shtf and some hardcore plinking.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
One that will shoot every time you pull the trigger.

I bought a DSA STG-58.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto, cept I got 2 of them.. :)
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Simple answers to a simple question.

Just what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're buying an over the  counter production rifle, then your search will start and stop with a DSA StG-58A, either rifle (I much perfer the rifle to the carbine) or their 16.25" carbine.

Lifetime warranty and built from the choicest components.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Build your own. Then if your FAL that "you" built ever has a problem in a SHTF scenario/event, "you" can fix it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Build your own. Then if your FAL that "you" built ever has a problem in a SHTF scenario/event, "you" can fix it.

Absolutely
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Get one from www.ohiorapidfire.com

Thats where I got mine, and It has NEVER failed me.

The finishes they offer are incredible, and you can get a full length parked one for around 500 dollars.

They offer full length and carbine, and they stand behind their product.

Everyone who sees mine asks "what model DSA is that?" Looks fires and feels just as good, at half the price.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Derek at www.azexarms.com makes a damn nice FAL.  I'd give his guns a look.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The finishes they offer are incredible, and you can get a full length parked one for around 500 dollars.

Everyone who sees mine asks "what model DSA is that?" Looks fires and feels just as good, at half the price.

I paid $810.00 for my new DSA stg-58a delivered. Not  quite the 'half' you claim. DSA builds a great rifle, they also have great service, and they have been around for a long time and will be around for a long time. Can't say the same for the rest of the small builders out there. They come and go like the night.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll second Derek from AZEX. he built a STG carbine for me and it ROCKS!!!!. I brought it to the Casa grande shoot( the one with the short bowling ball mortar round) and those to shot agreed it kicked butt. and this was from a group of Ar-15 junkies.
Right now he building a Izzy carbine clone for me on a Imbel. As for barrel lenght I prefer 18" barrels because it is the best or both worlds, better mobility and still accurate and you don't lose that much velocity versus a 16.25" barrel. Plus no fudging with the gas system.
FAL addiction makes drug addiction seen like a craving for Ice Cream.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
My gun of choice if I ever "needed" a rifle would be the carbine I built.  With an Imbel barrel cut to 17" and no noise maker, DSA aluminum lower, top cover and trigger guard, Penguin economy stock and 249 PG, it comes in at about 8# with empty mag and I know it runs like a swiss watch.  It wasn't the cheapest build due to all the new DSA parts, but it looks sweet, handles like a dream (actually feels better balanced than my LW barrel AR) and hits whatever I point it at without problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll be sure to give orf and azexarms a hard look before I make a decision on anything.  

Both of these builders are looking real good right now for their prices and reputations, so it's a good thing I've a couple of months to make my decision.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Do some reseach on www.falfiles.com.  Derek makes some nice stuff and he is a good guy.  Another AZ local is the Gunplumber aka Mark  his site is www.arizonaresponsesystems.com.  Both Derek and Mark are very knowledgeable and put together nice rifles.  If you have the extra cash to spend many folks like DSA FAL's as others have mentioned.  One of my favorite FAL's I own is a simple frakenfal Imbel receiver, inch upper, FSE trigger group (USA), US made gas piston and charging handle (from tapco).  I have about $550 in this puppy and it functions like a dream.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, next time I will try to be more specific for you Bullet.

Most DSA's I see go for around 1000+

What kind of finish is on your DSA?

I guess what I should say, is for a comperable FAL in terms of finish, you will most likely pay 3-600 less for the ORF FAL.

That should be general enough.

Either way, I am NOT putting down DSA, nor am I even claiming they are over priced.  Ohio Rapid Fire simply puts together very very nice firearms at one hell of a bargain price.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Not saying that ORF does not have things go wrong at all, but the two rifles I have from them have never had anything go wrong, except for a loose charging handle pin.  So they sent me a brand new assembly no questions asked.  They also sent me two free slings, and an extra 20 round mag for my FAL, along with 2 30 rounders for my AK.

Once again, please do not take this as putting down DSA.  I would love to own one of their firearms.  They are very nice.

FAL parts are also very plentiful, and cheap.  I have alot of faith in ORF staying around for a LONG time.  They do awesome work, and alot of people are catching on.  Either way, we're talking FAL's.  Easy to work on, and even easier to get parts for.  Even if they happened to go out of business, theres nothing on the rifle that can't be fixed easily.  

That and I have YET to hear anyone complain about a ORF firearm of any kind not being 100% right off the bat.  Not saying it hasn't happened, but they do build awesome firearms for the price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Derek at www.azexarms.com makes a damn nice FAL.  I'd give his guns a look.

If anyone's interested, it's at $585 with no reserve.....Gunbroker.com, item 12895737  FAL Austrian STG-58 built by Arizona Expert Arms (AZEX.) , ends today.
This isn't mine, and I'd be bidding on it if I had the extra cash.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
See my ad in the Exchange. :-) Jayson does amazing work and I wouldn't be selling but I've been bitten by the FA-Uzi bug.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
See my ad in the Exchange. :-) Jayson does amazing work and I wouldn't be selling but I've been bitten by the FA-Uzi bug.

Selling a FAL for an UZI???? They make medicine for that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll second the recommendation for Arizona Response Systems. I have one, and couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok lets say you want to build your own. I mean find a good FAl to start with then add from there. What would you recommend? I see them listed all the time on the shotgun news for a couple hundred. Seems like a nice cheap starting point to build up a nice FAL. what caliber would you choose? I have an AR but I saw a FAL once in a SWAT magazine and loved it as a second SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a ORF Carbine and it is very nice and works just fine.  Its my first FAL....I would love to get a DSA, but I am going to have one built before I do that.  I am going to build it on a STG 58 kit.  So if you only have about 600.00 to spend then ORF...If you are going to spend 1000.00 then is DSA!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#22]
If you don't mind telling me were you got it for that price i'll apreciated
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I paid $810.00 for my new DSA stg-58a delivered. Not  quite the 'half' you claim. DSA builds a great rifle, they also have great service, and they have been around for a long time and will be around for a long time. Can't say the same for the rest of the small builders out there. They come and go like the night.

Where did you get one for $810.00?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I called DSA, they gave me a few local FFL names. Called one up, went over to his place, called up DSA ordered it, and charged it to my CC. Gave the ffl $20 bucks for his trouble.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Bullet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top