Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2003 12:52:42 PM EDT
Building FAL number three. My other two have standard 21" barrels. I am considering a 16" carbine barrel for this one. Will be a DSA 16" barrel w/ muzzle brake. Anyone use this set up? Is the muzzle blast/flash excessive? Any opinions?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:33:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By patriot73:
Is the muzzle blast/flash excessive?

Only if you're the guy standing next to it.

I have a 17" on my LW with a naked barrel. There is considerable muzzle flash. When shooting indoors, I can really see it. I suspect the DSA brake would keep that to the sides, rather than being visible straight up, but the blast would be even bigger.

That being said... everybody needs at least one carbine. They are VERY sweet handling. The shorter barrel makes it feel like it just jumps on to target. IMHO, 17" with no attachments is ideal until the ban sunsets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:45:38 PM EDT
Nice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:42:49 AM EDT
16" will probably require drilling out the gas port. I have an 18" that is pretty quick but not real finicky. I only cut mine to 18 after reading about peoples problems with much shorter barrels. What i found seemed to indicate that once you get past 18 you may have problems or you may not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:14:30 PM EDT
I have heard about the cycling problems too. This will be a DSA 16" US Made barrel. Wouldn't you think that DSA has planned for any gas port/cycling problems and drilled the port accordingly?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:00:57 PM EDT
I have a 16" DSA...no short stroke probs here-
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:13:25 PM EDT
Most people who have problems with 16" barrels never drilled the gas port. It needs to be oversize. I have two ARS carbines and they are absolutely sweet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:23:01 PM EDT
I am guessing that ALL the cycling problems are a result of full length barrels being cut down. I am beyond confident DSA has accounted for this on their shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:37:51 AM EDT
Even if they didn't, correcting it is extremely easy. Remove the front sight and drill away.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:51:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cliffy109:
Even if they didn't, correcting it is extremely easy. Remove the front sight and drill away.

I don't know anything about gas-port diameters but I imagine it is really, really precise. If you do it wrong, you will really screw up your barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:25:59 AM EDT
well its not really all that difficult though it can be a bear to find the proper size drill bits, i'm still trying to find a 3mm bit. The main thing is to go one increment at a time, drill the next size, reassemble and test fire. When drilling be especially careful if you have a chromelined bore as i have heard of folks rushing things and breaking a bit off in the port. The solution to that is to fire it with no overheard cover and blast the bit out. I don't relish shooting hardened steel straight up in the air so i went slowly and used cutting oil and did not have a problem with my 18". Of course you should put an old cleaning rod or dowel in the bore to let you know when you've drilled through.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:47:30 PM EDT
Curt helped me, but I swear, its really easy. If you have a full set of bits, find the one that drops through the current hole and move to the next larger size. Cutting oil or even CLP does help, as does a rod in the barrel so you don't go too far.

I talked to Gary Jeter about this once. He actually brought a cordless drill to the NRA range and went to work right there on the firing line until he got the port large enough.

Again, don't do anything until you are sure you need to. If you do, go in small incraments.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:14:40 PM EDT
I just got the DSA barrell. I'm not drilling holes. if there is an issue I will take it to DSA I live within minutes of their shop. I am confident this barrel will work fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:25:16 PM EDT
For locating 3mm and other odd size metric, fractional or wire size drill bits and end mill's try WWW.useenco.com They have most of that stuff in stock and are reasonably priced plus they ship the same day if you place your order by 4pm IN. time.
For drilling through Chrome Lined barrels use a Carbide or M42 Colbat Drill Bit. Do yourself a favor though and order spares the first time as the shipping will cost you more than the bit will! Keep in mind however that even with these better bits still take your time and drill slowly as these bit's will not tolerate being "flexed" even a small amout without shattering!
Also be aware when drilling through any Chrome Lined barrel that you do not "chip" or "Flake" the Chrome Lining as it will degrade your accuracy and I do not know of anyway to repair it once it is done! Better off to just take your time drilling and use lots of Drilling/Tapping Fluid!!
This in mind one should have no problem at all.
Hope this info helps, RemMax
Top Top