Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2003 1:42:58 PM EDT
Anybody ever had this problem before?
Happened to me at the range today shooting South African. First mag: no problems. Second mag went like this:
4 shots, then shortstroke
Gas moved from 6 to 7
1 shot, then shortstroke
gas moved to 10
shortstroke
shortstroke
-stopped before something bad happened.
My plan of attack is to download the cleaning instructions from Biggerhammer, clean out the gas system, and check for foreign objects slowing down the bolt... even though I didn't feel any drag when clearing the malfunctions.
Also- These were new mags I was using today. No obvious problems with them, inserted and removed as usual. I've never heard FAL's referred to as mag sensitive, but I guess anything can happen.
If you've got any insight, I'm all ears.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You're going the wrong way on the gas system.  You need to go smaller.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean gas setting 1 is more gas than # 10?
HA HA HA!
I love it when things are simple.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup.  If you look at the little hole, you will notice that as the numbers increase, you are exposing more or the hole.  That means, you are allowing more of the gas to vent upward and not be used to move the gas piston.  The ideal setting is generally considered around 5 or 6 because you still have lots of room on either side to deal with different ammo or weather conditions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
yup, both of my FAL's are on 6 works like a charm.....if you go lower and it till short's  you may have a gas leak, but what Cliff said is correct...just look at the hole you are making...bigger more gas gets out small less less gas.

Next time you will have a better time...enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Many thanks for the informative replies-
I'd never looked for the gas escape port behind the sight post... the FAL design is still new to me. The more I see about it, the more I like the thinking behind it.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You should think about getting one of these. It will show you everything you need to know about the rifle...

www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=BK2483&back=yes&dept=63&last=62
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to biggerhammer.net and downloaded two different versions of the FAL manual there- they must have dozens of different manuals on that site. Good stuff.
-Hobbit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top