Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2003 7:15:38 PM EDT
Yep I am a newbie to FALs . I don't even own one yet . I have always loved the way they look though . I am looking at the STG-58 but Like the hump back butt stock . Are stocks easy to replace ??

My REAL question is do they have a recoil mechanism in the stock like the AR-15 ??
I have seen cutaways and talked to peole who say there is indeed a type of recoil controil spring in the stock . Lets have the truth .
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds easy huh?

it can be a real bitch!

mine came unscrewed from the lower rec. instead of the bolt and i had to put it back that way. the bolt is just frozen on there, nothing i tried worked to get it off.  so when i had to put it back on i had to fight those double springs for half an hour.  and i cut the crap out of my hands and bled all over the freshly painted stock. (gives it a nice pink hue)
anyway i finally got it back on with a lot of fighting and sailor talk.

needless to say im not taking the stock back off unless i really have to!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
On the kits, it is pretty normal for the nut to stick to the tube.  When this happens, the enitre tube unscrews from the lower.  I've been able to get them all off, but one did give me more trouble than the others.  On that one, I hit the nut with WD40 and let it soak in a bit.  Then, I used channel locks on the tube and the stock tool in its hole.  The channel locks will scrape and mar the finish on the tube but that nut will come off.  

Once you get that off, changing the stock to the humpback is easy.  You'll be glad you did too.  The comb is just too high on the STG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top