Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/13/2003 9:04:29 AM EDT
I have a DSA STG-58 and was thinking of maybe putting an Aimpoint ML2 on it. I want to still be able to co-witness the iron sights though. I don’t currently have a rail cover/scope mount, but was impressed with a fellow member’s DSA scope mount. It looks very sturdy.

If I used the DSA mount and an Aimpoint mounted in an ARMS 22M68, will that co-witness the irons?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:40:01 PM EDT
Works with an L1A1 with a standard Aimpoint ring low on the receiver... not sure about an FN/FAL.

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:12:52 PM EDT
HiramRanger, I love it! Thanks for the picture!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:15:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2003 11:16:35 AM EDT by SP10]
I believe a friends Aimpoint/DSA mount/STG58 did NOT cowitness. The L1A1s have a higher rear sight. Probably a good idea to take your query to the FAL board when it comes back up.

<edited to add> Hiram is also NOT using a DSA mount, I believe...
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:28:48 PM EDT
Did the same combo on a Stg58 using a Tapco receiver mount and Aimpoint low ring. You can co-witness although you do not see the entire iron site at the lowest(rear-most) setting you do see enough to allow you to center the post in the peep sight and that's all that matters.

I tried this setup on a whim and it is now my choice for the FAL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:25:17 AM EDT
SP10, correct, that is a Tapco mount. The latest version by Tapco (this is the older version) has a lower weaver rail which should make cowitnessing on a FAL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:49:35 AM EDT
I only had this setup for a short time. Didn't like it and the AImpoint was defective. By t he time it was returned I had the other Reflex setup which I prefer. here are photos.

Oh, I do not think either of them cowitness. I would go check, but the FAL is either with DSA for repair or at my smiths waiting my pickup. In either case - I don't have it and can't look.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:05:20 PM EDT
I was going to ask you Jimmy about the 2x Aimpoint. Did you ever have a chance to play with it? Is the field of view as bad as everybody claims? I still love that concept if it worked.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:04:09 PM EDT
Cliffy,

I didn't like it. First, it was defective. That doesn't help. POI kept shifting. But I didn't like it anyway as the FOV is poor and the 2x just doesn't buy you anything IMO. When I sent it to Aimpoint, they told me it would need to be replaced and they were backordered. I told them send me a 1x and I'd call it even. That is what they did and I am happier with the 1x unit.

Top Top