Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2003 5:25:46 PM EDT
Ok, This has probably been asked before here in this forum. (BEAR with ME , I'm new to the FAL forum).  I wonder about the quality of these sub-$400 FAL's on the market. I know they are a kit gun made by Century Arms. I've been told they are good for the price and I've been told to avoid them like the plague. What are some of your opinions here? Are they worth looking into or are they problematic?
I would like to get a descent semi-auto .308 without having to pay the premium price for a M1A or an HK. What are your thoughts?
Thank you.....

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Century gun.  Got is used, and shot it once w/ out any problems.  Traded it for a Pro-ordinance pistol(AR15type pitol).  Retail the Century guns are going for over $700.000 in NJ.  There are other brands that you can look into.  Personnly I have a Springfiled SAR48, Armcorp T48, and the Century.  I am awaiting to build an IMBEL.  The build route can cost you as much as a SA58 by DSA.  If you get a Century for under $400.OO I would take it.  Have a competent smith look at it first.  If it is going to be a go to gun for SHTF type situations, get a Brand New DSA or Entreprise GUN.  If you have a friend that is a dealer, see if you can a gun at dealer cost.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey twogun,
This is not just one weapon here I'm looking at.  Here in AZ. sub-$400 FAL L1A1's are common. I was just looking for anyone who owns one who can tell me it is worth it.  ( Seems a little cheap to me) for a reliable .308.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
For the price of the Century and a trip to the gunsmith, you can get some pretty good FALs.  Take a look at the FALfiles.  If you buy one that somebody built, your chances of getting a well made, reliable battle rifle are much higher than the Centruy route.  There are guys selling Imbels from build kits for $650 and sometimes less.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a set of 7.62x51 go/no go gauges and check the headspacing.  If the barrel was timed properly and and the headspacing is good you should have no problems.  Hand cycle the action with some snap caps or dummy rounds and make sure the it strips from a few mags and extracts/ejects the round.

Not much to go wrong on a FAL that can't be fixed inexpensively.  So long as the main safety issue for any rifle is addressed - headspacing, you should be good to go.  I have a very early Century L1A1 and it is a great rifle that I paid like $350 out the door for with a bag of magazines.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My father picked up one of the Century angry beaver FALS, built on an Imbel receiver...we discovered it's gas piston was bent (noticably, which was why it wouldn't cycle, even with the gas on 0), but that was it's only defect. Other than that, it's good to go. Functions and feeds fine, and he paid a princely $250 for it in NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top