Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/7/2003 10:44:43 AM EDT
Hello, I am a new FAL owner and I wish to purchase either a BIPOD that clamps to the barrel or the DSA handguard rail system and use a BIPOD that route...

Where is a good place for these parts at good prices:

Metric(?) Bi-Pod (bbl mount) _________
Hand-Guard Rail system (Metric?) _________

Any help is appreciated, thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:14:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2003 3:15:59 PM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:38:13 AM EDT
As William states, your barrel requires a bipod cut to use the FAL bipod. You could also get an AR adaptor for the Harris bipod, drill a hole in the bottom of the handguards and then use a Harris bipod, as I did. You could also get a set of fre-float hanguards and attach the harris bipod to the sling swivel, which is my recommendation. Shooting from a bipod attached directly to the barrel may make your rifle less accurate. The free-float hg offset that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:05:42 PM EDT
Thank you for the info! I have a DSA SA58 Carbine and I "THINK" it has the recesses in the barrel for the bipod...

I was just curious about the rail system, good point on doing CQB with a POST-BAN. I still haven't shot the beast yet and I imagine the muzzle blast will be CONSIDERABLE.

I just got a 308 ELCAN (used) for it and mounted this on a TAPCO scope mount cover, hope it works good. Every thing I read here is advice to go with the ARMS mount instead of TAPCO... I guess it doesn't make sense to have a NICE rifle and NICE scope on a bargain rail...

I went with a rail from AAC and mounted it under the handguard for a vert grip or other accessory, it is only clamped to the plastic handguard, so I wonder how that will hold up in the long run...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:22:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raf:
That said, there are two types of bipods: The mil-issue one that is attachable and removeable using tools, and the quick-detach version, which needs no tools to affix/remove.

I believe that there is also a mil-issue detachable bipod that was developed by FN (and is what DSA copied for their detachachable version). I see them come up for sale every now and then and they seem to go for about 3X what the DSA sells for ($90).

Just an FYI
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:20:22 AM EDT
Just get yourself one of them AR bipod mounts that stick through the handgaurd and dremmel a small hole between the handgaurds up toward the front and clamp on your harris bipod, lasts long and works
Top Top