About 2 months ago, I posted AR15.com Hometown for VA asking if there were any guys who wanted to build a FAL rifle. Several people expressed interest but in the end, there were three of us who actually built and two others who came along for the fun. I've got to say, it was a great experience.
The build was at Curt's house who is also a member here at the FALfiles. He has experience with barrel installation and has a vice, wrench, LS tools and stuff for headspacing. Next was 300whisper (Nick), who has never had a FAL and this was a very new experience for him. He brought an extractor tool, front sight tool and an incredible lunch of barbeque souvlaki. Fenian from brought an R1 kit and generously let us steal a couple of missing small parts we needed. Finally was 101_proof who was just curious and helpful. He also invited us to a quarry for some shooting next week. I brought the barrel shaving tool and timing tool from PaPatriot.
Things started out with removal of barrel stubs on Nick and Curts barrels. At the same time, we started looking over the various kits.
That done, we started on barrel installation. This almost went too easily for the first couple of barrels. I brought a barrel shoulder shaver which seemed to really make things easy. My STG did have some issues and at first, we couldn't get it on at all. After shaving the shoulder a bit and making sure it was not bottoming out, it went on... only to be removed and reinstalled a few hours later when I discovered I had screwed something up with the timing. I still don't quite know how that happened but its good now.
Next came the headspacing. I had brought several extra locking shoulders and we had 11 of them for 6 builds. Unfortunately, 4 of them were .260 and we needed two .258s. We shaved two down which seems to have worked but I screwed up the installation of one and broke the ear due to a misalignment. I have since ordered a new one. By the time we were done, we had enough correct LSs for 5 of the six rifles.
In the end, we completed 4 rifles. Curt was missing a few pieces and decided to work on it later. My STG that is getting the zebrawood stock is waiting for a new LS.
Nick ended up with a G1 from a kit from Ken Kubin at www.globelmilitarysurplus.com on a Coonan receiver with wood furniture (also from Ken). He also did a half Imbel, half STG. The lower is a part from a Dan's kit (I traded with him) on an Imbel receiver and the front end is one of the DSA front ends for $95.
I finished an all Imbel that has take-offs from an SAR48 lower, top cover, bolt, barrel and furniture on a new Imbel receiver. It is as authentic and nicely finished Imbel as I have ever seen. The other is a lightweight consisting of a 17" Imbel barrel from the Dan's kit, DSA aluminum receiver, Penguin stock, Tapco forend, aluminum top cover, mags, charging handle and trigger guard. Both came out better than I could have hoped.
I don't have pics yet. We took several but I'm trying to figure out how to reduce the file size so I can attach them here.
In all, it was a great day. We learned a lot, met some really good people, eat good food and generally had a ball. I can't wait to function fire these beauties.
Looks like you guys had a great time and a very productive build.
Sadly, I may be looking at letting my pre-ban Springfield SAR-48 Para go.
Still would have the DSA though, but it's not a done thing that I'll have to get rid of the Springer.
I'd like a nice clone of a standard 50:00 R1 South African/Rhodesian type though........