Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/4/2003 2:05:54 PM EDT
Hi all,

I've had this troublesome preban L1A1 made on an Entreprise reciever for quite some time...it's original problem was that the gas tube retaining pin was missing. Stuck one of those in...only to find out the gas tube retaining pin likes to walk itself out. The advice I received was to get a new gas tube. Got a new one..same thing happens. This time around I'm using red locktite on the gas tube threads, and dabbing some jbweld on the ends of the gas tube retaining pin. Hopefully that'll work...

...however, if it doesn't, where can I send it to be rebuilt? I figure if it's not going to run right, I may as well rebuild it from scratch. I'd want to rebuild it into something like the SA58 carbines DSA sells, except with a para stock on it (and a real brake/flash hider )...compact, evil-looking, powerful, a lot handier than my M1A, and a hell of a lot easier to clean . Will DSA build me one on my reciever if I ask them to? If not...anyone know who would?

Thanks for any advice!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 3:22:01 AM EDT
Sounds like all that is needing replaced is the front sight/gas block.

But if you really want to rebuild it into a different configuration there's plenty of FAL 'smiths listed over at the FALfiles. I can't remember then all off the top of my head or else i'd list them for you. I very highly doubt DSA would build your rifle on someone elses receiver.

The problem you are going to run into is using a mix of metric parts with your inch pattern FAL. To use a para stock you'll need a metric lower. A metric lower will work fine on an inch upper but you'll need to use inch pattern rear sights. Understand what I am getting at? Yes, you can make it work but if you want a para style FAL your best bet is to build one off a metric parts kit, or better yet a complete Para parts kit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:42:09 AM EDT
It doesn't sound like the gas block needs replacing. Mic the pin and use one slightly larger, or just braze it in permanently with a mapp torch. There's no need to take it off. I would try the cheapest solution first in this particular situation.

You can also get a complete STG front end for $100 from DSA, or do as I did and get just the 18" refurbished barrel (that was $125 for some odd reason) and mounted it on a Imbel Gear logo receiver. The barrel looked barely used.

www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=90744949703&photoid=39731359803&page=1&UV=271103683553_21358864903&refreshkey=1057512816530
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:15:18 AM EDT
Ditto with Omar,

Just silver solder the tube in place with a mapp torch at the threads and forget about it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:03:19 PM EDT
Silver solder the gas tube in place. As far as who to send your FAL to, you can try Arizona Response Systems. AKA: The Gun Plumber
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:57:37 PM EDT
FINALLY, IT WORKS!

I wound up throwing some red-locktite on the gas tube, letting that set for a week, pounding in the gas tube retaining pin (which took a fair bit of hammering to get in...wound up peening one end of it, which is fine, cause it always drifted out on the other side )...and finally took it out yesterday.

Woot! It works! I'm in FAL heaven now! Finished sighting in the SUIT I got for it a while ago, now it's dead on with irons and SUIT at 200 yards. Took it back out today to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Put close to 400 rounds through it this weekend, in total. Normally, it'd crap out and the pin would eject itself after no more than 30 rounds.

Now to just get some kind of heat-shielded hand guards for it, cause after 60 rounds, the damn thing's too hot to hold without gloves on

Thanks for all the advice! I didn't want to silver-solder it (I'd wind up scarring myself for life, setting fire to the garage, and giving my neighbors a heart attack when they saw a flaming man running from the place), but red locktite did the job just perfectly.

Top Top