Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 7:28:57 AM EDT
Helping a friend replace a buttstock on his FAL.
First, when the butt screw was removed it launched itself across the room, almost killing the dog. (he took off running)

How can you get the return spring back in with-out the tool?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess if you could find a rod that the spring will slip over you could feed the spring in place using the rod as a guide and slip the butt screw in place and use a bit of force to push it in place while trying to get the first couple of threads started. Before trying this please put the dog in another room.

I see you're in PA, if you happen to be near NE Philadelphia I could loan you my FAL stock tool.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Princeton, I'll try a cleaning rod as a guide. I'm down near the Vet Stadium.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I think TAPCO sells the tool for $6.99 or $9.99 or so. They are worth their weight in GOLD.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah...you're gonna be like a monkey trying to (*&^ a football without the tool lol.  The cleaning rod trick may work...but even then it's gonna be a 3 handed job!  Good luck, tell us how you did it if you're successful.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Know that saying "Necessity is the mother of invention" I made a tool from a .22cal cleaning rod and a cheapo 1/4" drive deep socket in 11mm, I ground and filed the socket so it had the two slotted blades sticking out, slipped it on the rod, put the rod in the center spring compressed it and started the thread, it was still hard to do, took allot of finger pressure but it was a quick solution.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:13:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The hard part is just getting the first couple of threads to start without cross threading the parts.
Glad to hear you got it ok.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to the FAL files and get directions for making a buttstock tool - you need a Dremel tool, file, a 10mm socket, some all-thread, two nuts, and about 30 minutes tops.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Straighten a metal coat hanger, then stick it down the screw hole, touching the follower.  Just push the cap down the rod, then spin the cap a few turns to keep it in place. the rod will keep the spring from bucking out the sides.

The tool works better, but only if you have it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top