Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 5:25:00 PM EDT
I just acquired a Springfield SAR-4800 7.62x51, Ser#16XXX anybody know what year it was made?  Thanks
UPDATE
I sent funds today for a SAR 48 Israeli Heavy Barrel. Lexington Arms had it posted some time ago. They originally priced it at $1599. I got it for $1300. I think I got it for a good price. I can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what year it was made but if it's stamped 4800 it's post ban. Pre bans were SAR48's.
You can call Springfield with the serial # and they can tell you more about it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Like chuck1 said, if it's stamped SAR-4800, it's a post-89 import ban rifle.

It should be marked SAR-4800 on one side of the receiver, SAR-48 Match Target on the other.

It originally shipped with a thumbhole stock. If it has had US-made parts added (H/T/S, furniture, muzzle brake, etc.) it can now be in pistol grip configuration.  It cannot have a flash hider or a folding stock unless it was in that configuration legally prior to 9/94. Since US-made FAL parts weren't available for the conversion back then, it's not a pre-ban "assault rifle."

If it doesn't use US parts for the conversion, than it's an unlawfully converted firearm. How much that bothers you is up to you.

It's worth about as much as any other good quality post-ban ($750-$1000 depending on condition), unless it doesn't have US parts, in which case those parts will cost $150-$200 to add.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, this could potentially be one of those "grey-area" firearms - those imported post-89 "sporting purposes" importation change, but pre 11/90 (922(r)).  Of course, in 1989 the type of firearms the ATF would approve for import changed, but once the rifle was in the country, it was not illegal to put it back into "evil" configuration until the passage of 922(r), which took effect in 11/90.  In fact, Springfield sold a package (I believe they called it their "accurizing package) with both these guns and the SAR-8's that did just that.  

If the rifle was put into "evil" configuration before 11/90, then it should be grandfathered and can have all the "evil" features you'd like.  However, since you aren't the original owner, there really is no way you can tell for sure - then you get into the issues - whose has the burden of proof, etc.  

Your best bet is to call Springfield - they can tell you when it was imported and when it was first sold.  If it left their factory post 11/90, you are out of luck for sure...  They may also be able to tell you if it was sold with the aforementioned "accurizing" package - which should be proof enough that the rifle would be grandfathered.  Otherwise, if it left them in the "sanitized" configuration but pre 11/90, you are in the grey area...

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got off the phone with Springfield. They told me the rifle was built in 95!! I called my friend I bought it from and he was cool about it and will give me my money back. It's going to be interesting because he's a Federal Air Marshal and the rifle was in pre ban configuration when he bought it from a dealer in Florida. He did not sound happy and he said that he's going to pay the dealer a visit. Oh well I guess I'm going to force myself to buy one from DSA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just got off the phone with Springfield. They told me the rifle was built in 95!! I called my friend I bought it from and he was cool about it and will give me my money back. It's going to be interesting because he's a Federal Air Marshal and the rifle was in pre ban configuration when he bought it from a dealer in Florida. He did not sound happy and he said that he's going to pay the dealer a visit. Oh well I guess I'm going to force myself to buy one from DSA.

1995!!!

Hell I didn't think they imported them past
90 or 91.
I guess you learn something new everyday.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, according to the Blue Book they made them until '98.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I got my money back today. He said that he was going back to the store in Florida with it and raise hell. He's pissed as he bought it as pre ban too. I guess I'll just look around a little.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just got off the phone with Springfield. They told me the rifle was built in 95!!

In '95? Wow, I'm surprised also. I have a SAR48 that I bought in '89, and it is almost like the real FALs except the little gas adjustment wheel near the muzzle isn't numbered. I didn't think they sold very many after like '92 or so.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

In '95? Wow, I'm surprised also. I have a SAR48 that I bought in '89, and it is almost like the real FALs except the little gas adjustment wheel near the muzzle isn't numbered. I didn't think they sold very many after like '92 or so.

Yours is a "real" FAL.  The Imbel rifles didn't come numbered, even in the full auto military models.  The SAR-48 is a Brazilian FAL and is correct and original in every aspect except for the safety sear and ejector block.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yours is a "real" FAL.  The Imbel rifles didn't come numbered, even in the full auto military models.  The SAR-48 is a Brazilian FAL and is correct and original in every aspect except for the safety sear and ejector block.

Well, I'm glad I gotta real FAL, cause I couldn't even begin to afford a FN FAL. Just before I bought my SAR48, there were ads in Shotguns News deriding the SAR48 as "South American Replica," for a company that was importing officially licensed FALs by FN from Argentina.

It kinda maddening to without those number at first because I had a FN FAL manual, and it talked about those silly numbers on the gas adj, and being a newbie couldn't find those, it drove me nuts.

My SAR48 accepts all of the acessories and parts that were claimed to metric-compatitible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top