Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/14/2002 2:18:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 2:45:58 PM EDT
Well... that all depends.

Your best scenario is to have a spare assembled bolt and a spare trigger assembly.

I don't know what else could break. IF you've ever tried, replacing a firing pin or other parts of the bolt is an ABSOLUTE BITCH without the proper tools. changing a firing pin at the range is not an option. It's much easier to slide off the operating rod, slide out the damaged bolt assy. and put in the backup.

I wouls also keep your USGI M14 combo tool handy...you never know when you'll need one. They come in darn handy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 3:13:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NAM:
Well... that all depends.

Your best scenario is to have a spare assembled bolt and a spare trigger assembly.

I don't know what else could break. IF you've ever tried, replacing a firing pin or other parts of the bolt is an ABSOLUTE BITCH without the proper tools. changing a firing pin at the range is not an option. It's much easier to slide off the operating rod, slide out the damaged bolt assy. and put in the backup.

I wouls also keep your USGI M14 combo tool handy...you never know when you'll need one. They come in darn handy.

Keep a GI kit in the stock. It fits inside perfectly and you have a cleaning rod or combo tool at your finger tips. Nam is right, the only thing that can really break would be part of the bolt or the trigger assembly. Both of these can be purchased from the CMP for cheap (while supplies last). I really dont forsee it happening in rifles with less than 10k rounds. It probably takes a hell of a lot more than that to kill an M1A as they are built to last
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 4:32:30 PM EDT
i agree on the spare bolt.. but with one addition.. spare extractors!!! 2 or even 3 spares.. they aren't hard to replace at the range.... i use a 30-06 case chambered to push in the extractor spring... works every time.. while i haven't broke an extractor yet(knocking on wood) i've had to use this method several times to save fellow shooters at matches....
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:02:08 PM EDT
Being mine is over 15 years old now and has never broken a part...unless you are ahead of the breakage curve, I can't think of anything to have on hand.
Only the front sight on mine came loose in the dovetail...thats it.
IF something goes awry at the range, it would have to be serious.
Until then, enjoy the (IMO) best marriage of steel to wood that ever happened.
Anything you buy would be a "feel good" thing anyway. Although not a bad idea, just in case.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:32:46 AM EDT
Fulton Armory website has a recommended spare parts list.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 2:55:24 AM EDT
A combo tool, extractors with springs, firing pin, ejector and spring.
Top Top