Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2002 6:28:37 PM EDT
I was thinking of getting an M-1 for general plinking & M1 matches. (I already use an ar for highpower) I was wondering about the CMP M1's. I also see they sell recievers. Are the service grade M1's worth it, or would i be better off purchasing a receiver & building one. I don't want to buy a CMP rifle & find out it doesn't shoot & has to be re-barreled, my father did this years ago....although he  now has an M1 that shoots & looks great. Thanks in advance.
pat
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hate to bust it to ya, but the CMP service grade ain't worth what they charge....They're worth more.  Best deal around for a Garand, you know you're not gonna get a reweld or similar POS. Some may be a little rough looking, but they usually clean up real nice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the quick reply...my father's was re-parked & rebarreled & looks incredible. maybe i'll go that route to get started.
pat
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The service grade M-1's from the CMP are as the name implies, "service grade". They are rifles that would be in the unit armory ready for issue if they were still the standard service rifle. No rust, no pits, no cracks, no chips. finish wear and wood dings are acceptable. The CMP will make every effort to satisfy you if you are not happy with what you receive. The customer service is second to none. Returns and exchanges are not a problem.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Another option for you is to get a Danish with a VAR barrel.  They shoot very well (and the barrels are practically new).  I picked up two, one had a rough stock so I put a new Boyd's stock (these are nice) on it for $75.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I got my M1 from the CMP quite a while ago.  It had mismatched wood and a lot of blue wear but shot pretty good.  I thought I wanted to pimp it out and had a good M1 'smith tune up the trigger and gas system, fit NM sights and glassbed a Fajen laminated stock (of all things).  When the 'smith closely checked the barrel (date of 11-44) he said it was still good and I should keep it.  I then had the thing refinished and it looked great, and shoots even better, that was 6 years ago and it still shots nearly as well as my M1A Supermatch!  (until I put the scope on the SM)

Pretty amazing old battle rifle the M1.  What baffles me is how come my 1944 barrel is still in such good shape?
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Does CMP have a website?
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I to am thinking about getting a SA standard M1A with synthetic stock(Lucifer's Hammer). I was wondering what the recoil would be like with the synthetic stock as opposed to the wood(does it make a difference at all) and if the Israeli surplus ammo would be ok to use in these rifles?

Ok i screwed up on which button to push. Didn't mean to make a whole new folder.  Sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top