Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2002 4:49:11 PM EDT
Which do you prefer? I've had my gun for two months and I still haven't even fired it. I'm still debating on whether or not to put a scope on it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had my Std. for a couple months now and have maybe 500 rounds through it and absolutely love the iron sights.  Something about the simplicity and the amazing accuracy that is addicting.  I went for the "scope it out" coupon promotion and will probably put the scope on when it ever arrives but like Wave I really do love the iron sights for everyday shooting.  The thing shoots way better than I can and sometimes simple is better.  Good luck, be safe!
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Defiantly Irons.........I love my M1A.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I, too, have the "Scope it out" deal but I don't think I will ever put it on. I have the scope on a Savage 22-250. Although my eyes aren't like they were when I qualified back in '66 (USMC, Edson Range), I still enjoy the challenge of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#5]
At what range are you folks firing at? Fifty yards, 100 yards, 100+? People tell me this is easily a 700 - 1000 yard gun. At that range, you'd need a scope, right?
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I would get a see thru scope mount like the ARMS mount and then get a set of cam type arms rings for your scope.  that way you are covered.

ed. to say do not get the springfield mount!
it SUCKS!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on what I'm using it for. For range shooting and hunting on the ground, I prefer irons. For testing ammo and hunting out of a blind, I like to use a scope. I think shooting with irons is better for improving marksmanship, its quicker and easier to acquire a target with, and they won't let you use a scope in service rifle or high power matches anyway.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Scope it.With the Smith mount like you have you'll still be able to use your iron sights as long as your scope objective is 50mm or less.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
A good M1A is only limited by the person behind it.
Learn to use the Irons and to call wind.

Train well, some day it come to close is not going to cut it.

A 310-2 Shepard ends up on mine from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
 Leave it to the irons unless you are a dedicated bench shooter or REALLY long range shooter.  Putting a scope on an M1A is a bit more labor intensive than a normal rifle...assuming you want to do it right.  Plus, the only way to truly shoot the rifle to potential is put proper cheekpiece on the rifle also, without a good cheek weld your pretty screwed.  Being very disatisfied with the aftermarket cheek pieces on the market, I made my own out of a fiberglass casting I made up.  Worked wonderfully....BUT....once you have a proper cheek piece on...just try getting a sight picture with your irons without having to break your neck in two places. After using the rifle in the scoped fashion for a while  ( A smith Ent mount ) I got really bored with the limitations the scope put on the gun and went back to irons.  I sold the whole setup to a buddy of mine who is a techno fan...he loves it.  Me?...I don't miss it a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top