Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2017 11:18:05 PM EDT
I got my Father a M1A Scout Squad years ago as a gift. He loves the thing but he wants something more compact for when he travels. Been thinking of getting him the Choate Folding Stock.

Anyone have experience with them?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have run these stocks on other firearms but not on the M1a.  It would reduce length and even at $275 its way cheaper than a Sage stock.  Not sure it would be ideal long term.  I have found it acceptable on a .22 but no so much on an Encore with a heavy rifle caliber. Probably OK on a Mini 14 but pushing it on an M1a.  Cheekweld is always the problem with an M1a. Choate also makes one that runs an AR telescoping stock - likely more acceptable cheekweld and certainly lighter than the wood stock. I have wanted one of the Sage ones for years but the price has kept it out of reach.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I had their folder on a mini.  Well made and locked up solid in either position.   They make good gear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Photo bucket hates us now or would post a pic
Yes have one and modified it a bit by switching out the pistol grip for a modified AR grip as the way it comes makes it hard to disassemble the rifle and just sucks in general.

Also attached a 6 inch pic rail underneath for a bipod , forward grip etc.

Made a cheek rest for the stock.

I sent photos of all this to Choate to show them how the SHOULD make their stocks but never got a response LOL.

over all its decent quality, not great and not crap, but too expensive for what it is and IMO lacking features that most people want.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Really enjoy shooting prone folded with a bipod.
Really need a cheekrest when extended.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Had it, tried it on both a Scout and a SOCOM, and sold it after about a year of trying to be happy with it.  It is fine mechanically, and does what it is designed to do.  But the balance and handling of the rifles were very poor, IMHO, with that stock attached- to the point of making the cons significantly outweigh the pros of handiness.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I have that exact rifle. Bought it new in 1982-83.

It's an M1A-A1 Bush Rifle. 18 inch barrel 1/11 twist. It was made before the Scout Squad.
The Choate folder came on the rifle new from Springfield Armory.

It is a solid stock and the folder lock up is good with a small amount of play.
It's also hard on your shoulder due to its light weight and narrow hard butt.

If you change out the factory flash hider for the SA compensator it cuts recoil a significant amount. So much so my wife can shoot it without any issues and she's a little woman.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's an M1A-A1 Bush Rifle. 18 inch barrel 1/11 twist. It was made before the Scout Squad.

If you change out the factory flash hider for the SA compensator it cuts recoil a significant amount. So much so my wife can shoot it without any issues and she's a little woman.
View Quote
His rifle came with this brake.

Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His rifle came with this brake.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AA9126_3.jpg
Cool, that's what I put on mine. I forgot the scout came with that.  
It does a great job cutting felt recoil.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want a good brake the Smith Enterprises Coast Guard brake is excellent.

SEI Good Iron Muzzle Brake on a M14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top