Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 2:05:56 PM EDT
A college wants to sell what I believe is a CMP IHC, postage stamp receiver Garand. It has a SA barrel, NHC windage knob and the rest of the parts are unknown. Since I did not have a chance to take apart the rifle, I was not able to do any further investigation. I know that IHC marked receivers are rare and that it should have a LMR barrel, but I am by no means that knowledgeable when dealing with this platform. He wants $1100 for it,  my argument is that CMP sells them for $730 currently. Should I move on the Garand or pass? I'm inclined to pass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The IHC Garands from the CMP are running about $1172 OTD for a service grade.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
CMP has Springfield and H&R rifles for $730 (currently).  The IHC rifles at that price are long gone.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You're not going to get an IHC for $730.  $1100 is a fair price if you want an IHC.  If you just want a Garand, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
A SA barrel may be the original.   The real bonus would be IHC Wood.   Julien dated inside the Forearm.

Assuming it's in decent shape his Asking price is correct.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The SA barrel  looks to have been reparkerized, since it's a different color and texture compared to the receiver. I'm going to have to think about it. I already have a HRA that I got from the CMP and it shoots great. I was just thinking about owning a rifle or at least a receiver from each of the Garand manufacturers. Thanks for the input today.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SA barrel  looks to have been reparkerized, since it's a different color and texture compared to the receiver. I'm going to have to think about it. I already have a HRA that I got from the CMP and it shoots great. I was just thinking about owning a rifle or at least a receiver from each of the Garand manufacturers. Thanks for the input today.
View Quote
The parts would have been parked separately new, months apart even then assembled.   Matching park on all the
Parts on a US military weapon of that period is a sign of someone sent it out for park job.  Sometimes barreled receivers were parked
Together in an overhaul.  If the barrel chamber face is not in the white that's an indicator of a together repark.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, that's good to know.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Low-ball him at $950 cashy money.    Be prepared to walk if he starts cussin'.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Looked at the IHC list in one of my books and it shows the very early IHCs with SA barrels.  s/n were in the 4440XXX range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Mixmaster IHC garands sell in the $1000 range as long as barrel gauges low , no import marks, rust/pitting , finish in very good condition. IHC's sold for alittle more before CMP flooded the market with them a few years ago
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Just bought a IHC from CMP south store for $960 (+10% tax) Field Grade, T5 M3, proper LMR barrel. Mixmaster of other parts, wood pretty dinged up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top