Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2017 8:29:45 AM EDT
I got a couple firearms from my granddad through my dad, who wanted nothing to do with them. A chief's special and a Universal Gen 2 (I am pretty sure) M1 Carbine. I cleaned them up and took them to the range. The only one that gave me any trouble was the carbine. It would lock the bolt but would not fire, extract or dent the primer. I tried a couple different ammo brands with it as well and no go. I gave everything a look over when cleaning it and didn't see anything that looked broken.

I know Universal's don't have the best of reps but grandfather carried an M1 in WW2 in the pacific theater and used this one as his home defense gun, not sure how much he shot it, so I would like to give it a shot since it has sentimental value.

Where should I start on diagnosing my problem?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I got a couple firearms from my granddad through my dad, who wanted nothing to do with them. A chief's special and a Universal Gen 2 (I am pretty sure) M1 Carbine. I cleaned them up and took them to the range. The only one that gave me any trouble was the carbine. It would lock the bolt but would not fire, extract or dent the primer. I tried a couple different ammo brands with it as well and no go. I gave everything a look over when cleaning it and didn't see anything that looked broken.

I know Universal's don't have the best of reps but grandfather carried an M1 in WW2 in the pacific theater and used this one as his home defense gun, not sure how much he shot it, so I would like to give it a shot since it has sentimental value.

Where should I start on diagnosing my problem?
View Quote

Pictures of the bolt removed would help.  It could be the guts are frozen with rust, dirt, grease, grime, etc.  But my guess is a good thorough disassembly and cleaning of the bolt is in order.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pictures of the bolt removed would help.  It could be the guts are frozen with rust, dirt, grease, grime, etc.  But my guess is a good thorough disassembly and cleaning of the bolt is in order.
View Quote
I will see if I can get pics of it tonight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

The carbine bolt disassembly tool is worth every penny.

While you have the bolt apart, check your firing pin length to ensure it's in spec.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This.

The carbine bolt disassembly tool is worth every penny.

While you have the bolt apart, check your firing pin length to ensure it's in spec.
View Quote
Wheres the best place to get the tool? I am seeing a lot of out of stock from a quick google search.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wheres the best place to get the tool? I am seeing a lot of out of stock from a quick google search.
View Quote
Amazon offers several.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Amazon offers several.
View Quote
Ok thanks. Got one ordered. I will take the bolt a part and report back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok thanks. Got one ordered. I will take the bolt a part and report back.
View Quote
There are a couple of helpful youtube videos that show how to use the tool. 

It wasn't intuitive for me.  I remember getting it and thinking... "WTF is this?"
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#8]
It sounds like the bolt is not rotating fully closed.  The bolt on an M1 Carbine must rotate to the fully closed position in order for the hammer to hit the firing pin  and the gun to fire. This could be caused by a couple of things.  First, a dirty extractor that is not pivoting.  That may be what is causing the extraction problem.  The extractor won't pivot far enough, so the case is jamming and not allowing extraction.
Or, the chamber is short chambered/throated which is causing the case to get stuck.  Though a short throated barrel will leave marks on the bullet itself from being jammed into the rifling.
As was stated, thoroughly clean the bolt, then try again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the bolt tool and had a chance to work on it but am stuck at the first step. The extractor won't come out. I have hammered on it with a punch and have it soaking in some Rem Oil right now. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got the bolt tool and had a chance to work on it but am stuck at the first step. The extractor won't come out. I have hammered on it with a punch and have it soaking in some Rem Oil right now. Any other suggestions?
View Quote
If it's seized by rust and gunk, soak in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
 is is the extractor completely frozen? Or, is the extractor able to move in rock against the extractor spring and plunger?

if you can move the extractor slightly against the spring and plunger, I believe the issue is you are using the tool incorrectly. The extractor should pop right out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Got the bolt a part and cleaned. Nothing looked out of wack. I put it back together and it still won't extract the rounds. Should I replace the extractor?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

is is the extractor completely frozen? Or, is the extractor able to move in rock against the extractor spring and plunger?

if you can move the extractor slightly against the spring and plunger, I believe the issue is you are using the tool incorrectly. The extractor should pop right out.
View Quote

It won't move at all even after I got it out it still is rock solid in there with no give against the spring. It comes out a bit easier but still needs to be hit with a punch. I had to do it several times to put it back together right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably rust or other gunk in the hole. I would use a small dowel and wrap it with Emery cloth and see if you can clean that area up gently. Same with the surface of the extractor as it drops into that hole.

without without the spring and plunger, it should come in and out smoothly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Just replace the extractor plunger and spring as well as the ejector plunger and spring.  It should not be difficult to remove.  Also as stated clean the opening for the spring.  I prefer brake cleaner and a q-tip with the cotton ball removed.

Also make sure the plunger is installed correctly with the flat facing down.  If your plunger does not have a flat then you absolutely should replace it and sell the original very early style plunger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top