Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2017 10:47:13 AM EDT
I have a CMP field grade, 1943 serial number, worn original looking light gray parkerizing, with a virtually unused 1951 dated Springfield Armory barrel. The humidity in this part of the country is around 80%. I've had serious problems with surface rust and stocks getting moldy in my safe. While taking the guns out every couple weeks and hosing them down with CLP or rem oil solves the issues with metal, this Garand stock keeps getting moldy. The stock is in overall poor shape, no cartouches (don't know if it is original US made or foreign), lots of scratches and what appears to be "pitting". It is also kind of dry. I want to prevent further outbreaks of mold. 

Will hitting it with BLO help, or is there anything else I should consider? I remember hearing something about a waxy paste recommended here that makes stocks shiny. Would this also help?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure that I'll get criticized for this but I always use Tung Oil and several coats of Johnson's Wax. Tung Oil gives a very hard finish, the Johnson's wax helps to water proof. I would not recommend any form of Varathane.  Most will probably recommend just restoring the traditional Boiled Linseed Oil.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I am expecting some repair parts on Monday, so I figured I'd coat it with BLO today and tomorrow. Just wiped off the first coat. I didn't strip the old stuff because the color looks nice (ignoring that fact it is beat to shit), but looked really dry. If I keep getting mold I may consider something more drastic. 
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Wipe off the mold with a damp rag.  If it's really bad, use a small amount of bleach in the water.  Let it dry thoroughly.

Apply BLO to the entire stock and rub it in.  Let it dry.  

It is relatively dry here and I still get mold on my stocks in storage.  The key is maintenance.  I don't believe you will ever get rid of the mold completely once it gets into the wood.  Mine probably got contaminated while in storage at the CMP.

Don't let them cross-contaminate each other.  Don't let the fungus eat your leather slings, either.

Use a Golden Rod heater inside your gun safe.  They lower the relative humidity.  

If it were really, really bad, something that was not controllable with regular maintenance, you could try a fungicide from the gardening center.

You could try a UV LED flashlight.  There are safety issues for your eyes but those are easy to deal with (use the safety glasses).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top