Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2017 4:12:37 PM EDT
I've been in the market for an M1 carbine and just so happens my cousin who I have not seen in quite some time has one he wants to part with. It is a Winchester with an Exel Gardner import stamp. It is a rebuild with the bayonet lug, round bolt and a Rock Island stamp on the stock. He is asking 1,000 and will throw in a couple hundred rounds of ammo and some USGI mags.

Anything I need to know? Is the price on point?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You should shoot any carbine first in order to test function.  Carbines can look good on the outside but have worn or out of spec parts that would cause problems.  Especially imports.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
How much of it is Winchester?  Just the barrel and receiver?

$1k is probably a fair price.  I paid $950 for one a year ago that was ALL Winchester parts.  Problem is, they aren't correct for the gun, but it was worth that.

Winnies that are all 'correct' generally go for $1500 or more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much of it is Winchester?  Just the barrel and receiver?

$1k is probably a fair price.  I paid $950 for one a year ago that was ALL Winchester parts.  Problem is, they aren't correct for the gun, but it was worth that.

Winnies that are all 'correct' generally go for $1500 or more.
View Quote
We just spoke and he told me it is all Winchester. He said he never looked at the round bolt but everything else has the W stamped on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The price is about right. It appears to have a nice high-wood stock, an expensive item if you are looking for one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The price is about right. It appears to have a nice high-wood stock, an expensive item if you are looking for one.
View Quote
Agree.  It's hard to tell, but it also looks like it has a 2 rivet upper hand guard.

If it's as advertised, I would go for it at that price.  If you don't want it, you can direct him to me.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm taking the plunge. Here's a few more pics:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#8]
It has definitely been re-arsenaled.  It has a Saginaw (SG in block) stock (nice one BTW), with a Rock Island Arsenal (RIA) stamp on it.
The flip safety and bayo lug are post-war upgrades.  The adj. rear sight is as well, unless the SN puts it at very late war.

All-in-all, it looks like a nice rifle.  You will have fun shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
It has a Winchester barrel, which is promising. You need to tear that sucker down and see what else is Winchester. You may have hit paydirt.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. As soon as I get it in my hands I will start the investigation and report back.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Just a cursory look tells me it is not all Winchester- original would be a flat bolt for one. Obviously the rear sight and barrel band is not Winchester so god knows what else. Personally I would only pay over 800 for a non import marked gun. The import mark hits the value hard. However adding 200 rounds of ammo ( providing it is not steel case) at say 30 cents a round helps a bit
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
While import marks still have a negative impact on the value of surplus firearms they have gone up in price in the last few years. OP's rifle without the import mark would go for 1200 and up in my area, and barrels are easy enough to change.

Winchesters always go for more than than most other carbines, even imports.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which makes absolutely no sense since they were the 2nd most prolific manufacturer of carbines.  Not disagreeing with you but just noting the absurdity of sellers adding a premium for Winnies.  Garands are the same way.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Which makes absolutely no sense since they were the 2nd most prolific manufacturer of carbines.  Not disagreeing with you but just noting the absurdity of sellers adding a premium for Winnies.  Garands are the same way.
View Quote
They were one of the few dedicated gun manufacturers to make carbines... unlike, say, IBM, National Postal Meter, and Rock-ola, whose regular products were wholly unrelated to firearms.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Plus you're getting a wartime 2 rivet handguard to go with the high wood stock.

Overall looks like a good gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They were one of the few dedicated gun manufacturers to make carbines... unlike, say, IBM, National Postal Meter, and Rock-ola, whose regular products were wholly unrelated to firearms.
View Quote
Most consider that to be a selling point for the other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I could see it going both ways but yea having a rifle made by IBM or Rock-Ola would be a neat talking point.

I've been researching this rifle with the information I have and it seems Winchesters are not that well thought of when it comes to fit and functionality for their build of the M1 carbine. I've even read where one guy over on the high road  said the other manufacturers refused Winchester parts because they were so out of spec. Any truth to these rumor?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]
If the muzzle and chamber are close to spec and the 'guts' aren't worn, you could have yourself a real nice carbine there.  Do you plan to collect it or shoot it?  If you want to shoot it, please, please don't shoot crap, commie steel ammo through it.  It deserves to see only quality, brass cased ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If the muzzle and chamber are close to spec and the 'guts' aren't worn, you could have yourself a real nice carbine there.  Do you plan to collect it or shoot it?  If you want to shoot it, please, please don't shoot crap, commie steel ammo through it.  It deserves to see only quality, brass cased ammo.
View Quote
Right now the plan is to shoot it. I'll avoid steel case no worries.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Some folks are Winchester fans (fanatics) and will pay more for one over another USGI carbine just for the name. I would be more concerned with checking for muzzle wear. If you don't have a muzzle gauge use a M2 ball round not a 30 carbine bullet. The more showing the better the muzzle. Most other issues can be taken care of fairly inexpensively on a carbine.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=28508
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just a cursory look tells me it is not all Winchester- original would be a flat bolt for one. Obviously the rear sight and barrel band is not Winchester so god knows what else. Personally I would only pay over 800 for a non import marked gun. The import mark hits the value hard. However adding 200 rounds of ammo ( providing it is not steel case) at say 30 cents a round helps a bit
View Quote
Winchester transitioned to round bolts as did other carbine manufacturers later in the war, it's blued so that's the original finish for bolts.  Also the rear I.R. CO. sight would be correct for a later war gun.  Without a better pic of the bayonet band, hard to tell if it's original Winchester, which yet again was correct for later war Winchesters.  The only thing that I can see that's definitely not original is the rotary safety and the Saginaw stock, which appears to have an original sling .  If you give the serial number, it would tell what year the gun was produced.

Lots to know about carbines, there's a reason there's books hundreds of pages long on them.

OP, do some research on the net, lots of info out there from people who are actually knowledgeable about the guns and won't feed you bad info.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Right now the plan is to shoot it. I'll avoid steel case no worries.
View Quote
Smart man!!

Edit to Add:

One of the best sources for M1 Carbine information is The U.S. Carbine Caliber .30.  You could start with the info there and expand your knowledge considerably.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys. I'll check out those books and the site for using M2 ball for checking wear. Will post up serial number as soon as I get it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a very nice carbine.

You got a good price, Winchester is one of the "upper end" brands...or one of the flavors that is of a little higher value to collectors.

It is not common to find somethng that is "all" this or that....they started live as mixmasters for most of them....remember war on, get tools in folks hands was the priority....I have said it before but the famous UN-Quality is the perfect example.

If you reload try reloading for it....the little gun really comes alive if you work up loads for each rifle....huge fun, and handy as all hell, plus it shoots something that is in the same ball park as a 357, and no one has ever called it underpowered.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, ... maybe it's different with the Winny carbine market, but having experience with Winny M1 Garands I can tell you what makes the prices asked so steep is that Winny was the only other maker of M1s during WW2.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, ... maybe it's different with the Winny carbine market, but having experience with Winny M1 Garands I can tell you what makes the prices asked so steep is that Winny was the only other maker of M1s during WW2.
View Quote
There were eleven distinct manufacturers of carbines in WW2 if you count IP.

Winchesters sell because of the name. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
That and they made much fewer than Springfield did during the war.  Same as IHC's and their value is based on the numbers manufactured 300k or so.  Or for Kovrov Svt40s 60k (estimated) or so made.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like a very nice carbine.

You got a good price, Winchester is one of the "upper end" brands...or one of the flavors that is of a little higher value to collectors.

It is not common to find somethng that is "all" this or that....they started live as mixmasters for most of them....remember war on, get tools in folks hands was the priority....I have said it before but the famous UN-Quality is the perfect example.

If you reload try reloading for it....the little gun really comes alive if you work up loads for each rifle....huge fun, and handy as all hell, plus it shoots something that is in the same ball park as a 357, and no one has ever called it underpowered.
View Quote
Roger that, thanks. I use to reload and just got away from it for a while. Sounds like a great reason to break out the gear and start it up again!
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
They also had a rougher finish and were typically several months behind other manufacturers in getting new parts into the production stream.  Ordnance and Winnie fought like cats and dogs for most of the war.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've been researching this rifle with the information I have and it seems Winchesters are not that well thought of when it comes to fit and functionality for their build of the M1 carbine. I've even read where one guy over on the high road  said the other manufacturers refused Winchester parts because they were so out of spec. Any truth to these rumor?
View Quote
Yes, Winchesters are generally considered to be on the 'poorly finished' end of the scale for both the M1 Garands and M1 Carbines they produced for the Gov't.  Constant bickering about quality issues with inspectors seems to be a common complaint from the Gov't Inspectors at their plants.  While Winchester held the patent on the M1 Carbine, they got off to a slow start in production with production getting going in October of 1942. Labor shortages, deep drilling problems, cracked receiver rails and other production issues all contributed to a less than smooth start.  Only about 828,000 (13.5%) of total M1 Carbine production of about 6.5 Million, were Winchesters.

Conversely, at the 'best finished' end of the scale are both the HRA for the M1 Garands (after the war) and NPM for the M1 Carbines (during the war).  However, collectors flock to the Winchester name so they command a higher price even though they were not as well finished.  That said, as long as a carbine was accepted by the inspectors, it should perform well enough as it was to be used by someone in harm's way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. You just made my point as it regards Winchester Garands.

Only S.A. and Winchester built M1 Garands during WW2.  With a limited amount of WW2 M1 Winnys still in circulation, and less than were ever made during the war by S.A., that scarcity alone boosts prices considerably  - almost in disregard of condition as long as the receiver says, "Winchester."
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks. You just made my point as it regards Winchester Garands.

Only S.A. and Winchester built M1 Garands during WW2.  With a limited amount of WW2 M1 Winnys still in circulation, and less than were ever made during the war by S.A., that scarcity alone boosts prices considerably  - almost in disregard of condition as long as the receiver says, "Winchester."
View Quote
My point is that we're not talking about Garands in this thread. It's irrelevant info.

Winchester Garands don't sell because of rarity either. They sell for the name.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#33]
According to this link, Winchester was 2nd to Inland in the amount of production.  So as the gentleman above me has pointed out a couple of times, their value is not because of how rare they are, I don't think.  I suppose it's possible that somehow that particular manufacture survived less and there are less around in the states.  But that seems unlikely.  

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/manufacturers.html
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Winchester Garands don't sell because of rarity either. They sell for the name.
View Quote
Still wrong, my dudenal .... Focus your shit and read carefully:

Yeah, as firearms go in general, Winchester is a "name."

But in the WW2 M1 Garand market, Winnys are a rarity in the sense that only two sources made them, one being S.A., and those M1s are waaay more plentiful than Winny M1s. That's what's driving prices on the Winnys.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Still wrong, my dudenal .... Focus your shit and read carefully:

Yeah, as firearms go in general, Winchester is a "name."

But in the WW2 M1 Garand market, Winnys are a rarity in the sense that only two sources made them, one being S.A., and those M1s are waaay more plentiful than Winny M1s. That's what's driving prices on the Winnys.
View Quote
The fact that Winchester made fewer is not necessarily the cause of the higher price.

Relative rarity in and of itself does not drive a price up. Any number of factors can affect the price.

Why are you even bringing this up in a thread that has nothing to do with the M1 Garand?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I take delivery today! Very excited!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I took possession. Serial Number is Winchester 1270XXX

According to the sites I checked, that puts it around 1942. Does this mean it may have seen action in WW2?

It also came with 1 mag. The only markings on the mag are PMC. Anyone have an idea what that refers too?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#38]
If I get a chance, I might go through the Canfield book I have tomorrow.  But there were a lot of sub contractors and different people that made stuff during the war and they all had their own markings.  Like I've got a mag that is "IS" which is International Silver.  And that list goes on and on.  And they all didn't make everything.  

As far as being made in 42, yes, it could've saw action.  There's no way of knowing for sure.  Could've sat in a rack in the states.  Could've went up the hill on IWO.  Could've been at Normandy.  Who knows.  If only these rifles could talk.  One of mine is 42 and the other 43, if my memory serves me correctly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I get a chance, I might go through the Canfield book I have tomorrow.  But there were a lot of sub contractors and different people that made stuff during the war and they all had their own markings.  Like I've got a mag that is "IS" which is International Silver.  And that list goes on and on.  And they all didn't make everything.  

As far as being made in 42, yes, it could've saw action.  There's no way of knowing for sure.  Could've sat in a rack in the states.  Could've went up the hill on IWO.  Could've been at Normandy.  Who knows.  If only these rifles could talk.  One of mine is 42 and the other 43, if my memory serves me correctly.
View Quote
I've already asked the wife for the Carbine books as a Christmas gift. I'm looking forward to learning about the history. This Winchester does have import markings. Would that exclude it from WW2 or is it possible it was in the war and imported afterwards?  As I write this I'm assuming there is a third option in that the rifle could have seen action but not in an American's hands but for an ally as an import?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#40]
All the USGI ones were made during WWII.  The US didn't bring them all back and they have been scattered all over creation for various reasons.  For example: the US officially gave some to South Vietnam to help support them.  Another example is ones we've seen recently marked Bavarian Police.  So the Bavarians used them on their police force officially at some point.  But I'm not really sure how they got them.  I'm assuming they also were given officially after the war, since we had so many over there in Europe.  Either that or there were just so many laying around and they got scrounged and re-allocated by some thrifty people running that town.  I don't really know the back story but you get the point.  

Import markings just mean some company in the US bought them from some foreign place to bring it back at some point after the war.  

This is how I understand it.  I'm no expert though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All the USGI ones were made during WWII.  The US didn't bring them all back and they have been scattered all over creation for various reasons.  For example: the US officially gave some to South Vietnam to help support them.  Another example is ones we've seen recently marked Bavarian Police.  So the Bavarians used them on their police force officially at some point.  But I'm not really sure how they got them.  I'm assuming they also were given officially after the war, since we had so many over there in Europe.  Either that or there were just so many laying around and they got scrounged and re-allocated by some thrifty people running that town.  I don't really know the back story but you get the point.  

Import markings just mean some company in the US bought them from some foreign place to bring it back at some point after the war.  

This is how I understand it.  I'm no expert though.
View Quote
Roger that -thanks. it helps paint a better picture of the carbine and its history in general. Seems like finding a true WW2 used rifle would be pretty hard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, only in that in the Military, actual combat personelle make up a kind of small percentage.  There are far more support people and a lot of them carried guns in the war.  So.....  But I would think most that were carrying carbines were at least in theater.  Seems like guys stateside might have been carrying older bolt guns and such.  But I'm not really sure.  It was a huge machine and I've looked at a lot of pics and documentaries in my time.  But there's not much way to know if a gun saw combat or not.  I'm sure The regiments had paperwork of the serial numbers of their weapons, but where you would actually find those.  And the chances of finding a specific serial number on a gun you own to a armory listing somewhere would be like, next to impossible.  

Just getting information on my Grandpa's service has been daunting because a lot of WWII records were lost in a fire in St. Louis where the were stored.  There are other sources, but you again, probably get my point.  I mean I don't know even know how many Regiments there were.   3 regiments per Division.  There were a bunch.  Then you have all the branches, since they all used the carbine.  It's the proverbial needle in a haystack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top