Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2017 5:55:07 PM EDT
My boss just got an M1 Carbine from his uncles collection. His house took 6 foot of water when the storm rolled in Houston.

After cleaning it up and getting it looking nice and working correctly he has fallen in love with this rifle. I would like to get him accessories for is like a bayonet, sling and etc for it.

What would be a good kit be for this rifle, and does anyone have any staring points of where to get them?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Carbine accessories:
Bayonets, 15 and 30 round magazines, carry cases, 15 and 30 round mag cases including the "stock pouch" that can fit over the stock around the butt, cleaning rod and belt case, flash hider, bolt disassembly tool, piston nut wrench, books and manuals.
Most items these days will be foreign made, often junk.

Bayonets:
The Carbine bayonet was the M5.

There are the original WWII leather handle versions (expensive), the post-Korea plastic handle versions (not so expensive) and several replicas, with the Chinese being poor quality.

Sources are ebay and Gunbroker.com for originals and replicas.
Online surplus dealers sell originals and replicas, do a online search.
Chinese replica... Chinese M5

Sling and oiler"
Most slings are replica, many original oilers are still available.
Again, ebay and Gunbroker.com and online surplus dealers.
International Military Antiques sell replica Carbine carry cases (don't get the fleece lined one, it causes rust), and replica oilers.......Case and oiler
Fulton Armory sell most Carbine accessories.   Note that some are not "correct" Carbine accesories, as example the cleaning kit # FA-A173-C  is really for the M14 Rifle.
They do sell new made 15 and 30 round mags, original bayonets and scabbards, and the book "The M1 Carbine Owners Guide" would be a great gift..
Fulton

Also:
Amherst

Bill Ricca

Gun Parts Corp
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look for USGI 15 round mags.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

The links where very helpful! I got him some stuff for it. I think he will be very happy. His uncle went into the hospital and isnt doing so well.

He didnt know what he had as far as the rifle went. He talked to his dad and there is alpt of family history there. So i thought id help add to it some as far as finding things that go with it.

It wasnt much, but got him a sling and oilier, service book, case, bayonet and cover.

After seeing the rifle and hearing some of the good times that where had with it i could not let it go to waste. If his uncle makes it back oit of the hospital hopefully it will make him feel good that someone cares.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carbine accessories:
Bayonets, 15 and 30 round magazines, carry cases, 15 and 30 round mag cases including the "stock pouch" that can fit over the stock around the butt, cleaning rod and belt case, flash hider, bolt disassembly tool, piston nut wrench, books and manuals.
Most items these days will be foreign made, often junk.

Bayonets:
The Carbine bayonet was the M4

There are the original WWII leather handle versions (expensive), the post-Korea plastic handle versions (not so expensive) and several replicas, with the Chinese being poor quality.

Sources are ebay and Gunbroker.com for originals and replicas.
Online surplus dealers sell originals and replicas, do a online search.
Chinese replica... Chinese M5

Sling and oiler"
Most slings are replica, many original oilers are still available.
Again, ebay and Gunbroker.com and online surplus dealers.
International Military Antiques sell replica Carbine carry cases (don't get the fleece lined one, it causes rust), and replica oilers.......Case and oiler
Fulton Armory sell most Carbine accessories.   Note that some are not "correct" Carbine accesories, as example the cleaning kit # FA-A173-C  is really for the M14 Rifle.
They do sell new made 15 and 30 round mags, original bayonets and scabbards, and the book "The M1 Carbine Owners Guide" would be a great gift..
Fulton

Also:
Amherst

Bill Ricca

Gun Parts Corp
View Quote
Fixed!!!  OP needs to find an M4 bayonet : http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/m4_thru_m7_series/m4_m7_series_p1.html

Attachment Attached File

M5 bayonets were for M1 Garands, as well as others

"MODEL 1905. Made by Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal from 1906-1922. 16" blade, originally bright polished finish, then blued, then parkerized. Scabbards were the Model 1905 (all leather) and Model 1910 (canvas and leather) 

MODEL 1905 Same as above with 16" blades. Parkerized finish. Not nearly as well made as the arsenal made bayonets. Made by commercial contractors. Made by Utica Cutlery, Oneida Limited, Wilde Drop Forge and Tool, Pal Blade and Tool, American Fork and Hoe, and Union Fork and Hoe. Scabbards same as above plus the M3 fiber scabbard adopted 1941. 1942-1943 

MODEL 1905E1 16" blades as noted above and cutdown to 10" blades. Cutdown by same commercial contractors which made the WW2 production M1905. 1943 M3 scabbard cut down to 10" with nomenclature M3A1. 

M1 10" Parkerized finish. Made by American Fork and Hoe, Oneida Limited, Union Fork and Hoe, Pal Blade and Tool, Utica Cutlery. 1943-1945. Some production in 1953. M7 scabbard 

M5/M5-1/M5A1 6" blade. Made by Aerial Cutlery, J&D Tool, Imperial Cutlery, Milpar Columbus, and Utica Cutlery. Adopted in 1953."
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
If the magazine catch doesn't have a "M" or even better a bar M stick with the 15
Round magazines.   The thirty round mags aren't supported well by the pre M mag catches and many get jams/feeding issues.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks! I got the m4 type that was linked to me.

It was kinda cool when he had me come over and help clean everything. He could name every rifle, shotgun, amd pistol. Who they belong to in his family, and storys.

Apparently everyone had forgot about this one until the safe was opened. He wasnt sure what it was. I told him right away. I told him that i have to help get this thing going again.

After i told him what it was, and what i would do of it where mine, he was excited a little bit. Then he talked to his dad, and his brothers. After getting everything cleaned up he is acting like he won the lotto.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info, ill pass it along
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The M4 bayo is really sweet.  I don't have one.  Wasn't it expensive?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, I fat fingered the key and typed M5 when I meant M4.
I thought I did insert a link to the M4.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The M4 bayo is really sweet.  I don't have one.  Wasn't it expensive?
View Quote
If you do some serious shopping online you can usually find a post-Korean War plastic handle M4 at reasonable prices.
Watch Ebay and and Gunbroker.com and you can sometimes catch a deal, but Buyer Beware to avoid getting a Chinese replica sold as original.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice! Great collection
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice! Great collection
View Quote
Yeah, but not mine. Just bought the accessories for it. It is my boss' that he just received from his uncle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
nice looking carbine there sir.  good on ya for getting some accessories for your boss.  I'm sure even though you didn't intend it as so, he'll pay if forward and pay you back in some way or another when you need a hand, or around the holidays!

good karma on you sir
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
nice looking carbine there sir.  good on ya for getting some accessories for your boss.  I'm sure even though you didn't intend it as so, he'll pay if forward and pay you back in some way or another when you need a hand, or around the holidays!

good karma on you sir
View Quote
Well about that... im actully debating turning in my two weeks soon...

But he was very happy to get the kit. And his uncle seemed to be proud someone out there cares!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top