Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2017 8:54:55 PM EDT
Got a CMP Service grade coming tomorrow, don't have dies or componets yet for reloading. Just curios if there is any easy to find .30-06 loads that are safe to fire in the Garand without a adjustable gas plug?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got a CMP Service grade coming tomorrow, don't have dies or componets yet for reloading. Just curios if there is any easy to find .30-06 loads that are safe to fire in the Garand without a adjustable gas plug?
View Quote

Yes fairly easy to find.  Check out the PPU stuff and some others.  Usually it's labeled for being for garands.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes fairly easy to find.  Check out the PPU stuff and some others.  Usually it's labeled for being for garands.
View Quote
Anything I might can find at a box store without having to order online?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

He did quite a bit of testing and I've seen others posting similar results. I believe the Remington 150 CoreLokt, Federal 150 Power Shok and the American Eagle 150 FMJ are the most common and popular commercial loads. As always, YMMV and watch for signs of excessive action speed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

He did quite a bit of testing and I've seen others posting similar results. I believe the Remington 150 CoreLokt, Federal 150 Power Shok and the American Eagle 150 FMJ are the most common and popular commercial loads. As always, YMMV and watch for signs of excessive action speed.
View Quote
Thank you, that's what I was looking for. If I can find some American Eagle 150gr FMJBT that looks like it's very kind to the rifle while still producing 2910 fps velocity.  Wow that ported plug though, seems to seriously lower peak pressure and just lengthen the time it's at a overall higher pressure after the spike. Bet that's waaaaaaay more gentle and consistent on the rifle. Initially I wasn't wanting to replace anything with aftermarket, but I may now
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. If I can find some American Eagle 150gr FMJBT that looks like it's very kind to the rifle while still producing 2910 fps velocity.  Wow that ported plug though, seems to seriously lower peak pressure and just lengthen the time it's at a overall higher pressure after the spike. Bet that's waaaaaaay more gentle and consistent on the rifle. Initially I wasn't wanting to replace anything with aftermarket, but I may now
View Quote
I have a schuster and it's very well made. To the casual observer you'd never be able to tell it was different, and it takes 10 seconds to swap it out when you get some m2 or m2 spec ammo.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot an M1 for decades before all this new fangled port plug stuff came out. Granted most of it was reloads based off data equal to m2 ball and m72 match specs, and any factory ammo I shot tended to be old GI surplus ( plenty of it ww2 era corrosive primed which with simple cleaning resulted in no ill effects in fact I still reload some of that old ww2 and earlier era brass today) I would try to buy some from cmp as your first choice. Local big box stores might not have much that is acceptable, although your sports retailers like bass pro cabelas and such should have some.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
delete, wrong thread
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
PPU/Privi, American Eagle, Selleir & Bellot are some 150 gr FMJ that are good choices for the Garand. Winchester has the 147 FMJ too. Some friends have suggested PMC 150/147 FMJ, but I have not tried them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top