Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 11:44:28 AM EDT
I'm in the market for an M1 Carbine.  I don't know a whole lot about them or what to look for as far as quality.  I'm not looking for collectors value, this is just for my own satisfaction to compliment my CMP Garand, 03 Springfield, and 1917 Enfield.  I've seen a few of them at some local shops, what should I look for to make sure I'm not buying a piece of junk?  And what is an average cost of a good shooter?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Learn the manufactures and the post war copy manufacturers. Several companies made shitty receivers and built carbines with gi parts. You don't want one of those.

A bore gauge would be good to check barrel wear.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't buy some cheap knockoff. Go for the real thing
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask your local shop if you can test fire first.  I learned the hard way.  There are many parts that can be worn out of spec.   Most are easy to fix but will add to the cost.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't find one locally but the CMP auction had a bunch.  I overpaid a bit but I was happy with it all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy USGI only.
Stay away from commercial guns overall. Prices vary greatly depending where you live. Import marked are $650-850. where I live. Non import guns are $800-1200. Nothing wrong with an import marked gun to me. I'm more a shooter then a museum collector.

Overall finish of metal and stock along with a tight muzzle are what I look for. Gun shows and internet sales are full of "original" USGI carbines, many with Chinese reproduction parts. It is a buyer beware market.

There are several very good M1 carbine forums. Worth the time to educate yourself before buying one.

Great history and very enjoyable to shoot.

Some USGI carbines bring more money because of a name like Winchester or Rockola. Quality wise these at not any better then other USGI carbine like an Inland or Underwood.

The vast majority of USGI carbine have been through rebuild(s). These normally have at a minimum an adjustable rear sight and a bayonet lug barrel band. Usually better for shooting accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy USGI only.
Stay away from commercial guns overall. Prices vary greatly depending where you live. Import marked are $650-850. where I live. Non import guns are $800-1200. Nothing wrong with an import marked gun to me. I'm more a shooter then a museum collector.

Overall finish of metal and stock along with a tight muzzle are what I look for. Gun shows and internet sales are full of "original" USGI carbines, many with Chinese reproduction parts. It is a buyer beware market.

There are several very good M1 carbine forums. Worth the time to educate yourself before buying one.

Great history and very enjoyable to shoot.

Some USGI carbines bring more money because of a name like Winchester or Rockola. Quality wise these at not any better then other USGI carbine like an Inland or Underwood.

The vast majority of USGI carbine have been through rebuild(s). These normally have at a minimum an adjustable rear sight and a bayonet lug barrel band. Usually better for shooting accuracy.
View Quote
Not just Chinese parts . At the CMP moving sale "collectors" bought tubs of worn out, damaged ,out of spec, and broken parts and I am sure they will hit the market whether in guns or refinished and sold as good parts.  Nobody buys 50 or 100 worn out bolts to build wall hangers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
How are the new Kahr ones?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for US GI only.

We have an Inland we picked out at the CMP South store back when they had them.
I'd trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the Auto-Ordnance (Kahr) M-1 Carbine with the Choate folding stock. I use Korean 30 rd Mags with S&B soft points or Wolf fmj's. I've had the weapon for 7 years and bought it new. It's never malfunctioned and I've fire approx. 3,000 rounds through it. I wonder how many people who bad mouth the Auto-Ord have actually fired one, let alone owned one. This one, with the folding stock serves me as a truck and ATV companion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How are the new Kahr ones?
View Quote
I've got a GI, high wood, original Marlin barreled, '43 NPM that's in 'as arsenal rebuilt' condition I've owned for well over 40yrs that's worth so much I don't feel comfortable shooting it more than the 100rds I've put through it in all the time I've owned it.  It's a great shooter for a carbine with groups in the 3" range at 100 yds with my handloads (good for a carbine).  Because I like shooting a M1 Carbine and didn't want a beater, I finally looked at the Auto Ordnance (Kahr) versions back in 2012 and based on a fellow shooting club member's good luck with his, got a NIB one.  I only changed out the WWII era flip rear sight with a Type II adjustable rear sight, lubed it up, snagged some new Korean Mil 15rd and 30rd mags from AIM (the AO comes with the M2's mag release that allows you to use a 30rd mag reliably), and took it out to give it a go.

I was pleasantly surprised with it as it was reliable and significantly more accurate than my pristine GI version; I can get 2" groups all day at 100yds with my handloads which is great for a M1 Carbine shooting 30 Carbine ball ammo.  I've now had it over 5 years and shot almost 5000rds through it with great results.  It's reliable, accurate, and still a ton of fun to shoot.  I also let newly taught women and children shooters try their hand at their first centerfire with it at our range during our NRA training and it's always a big hit.

The Universals and older commercial M1 Carbines has a spotting record but my AO is a pleasure to use and best of all, I'm not wearing out a piece of history as my '43 NPM is set aside as part of my son's WWII collection.  I'd recommend a GI version if you want a piece of history to shoot once in a while but if you want to shoot it a bunch, I'd recommend a NIB AO M1 Carbine for the reasons stated above.  In addition, my 5'0" wife loves to shoot 'her' carbine as it fits her small stature better than the bulky ARs I also have.

EDIT to add - Here is a picture of both my '43 NPM on top and my '12 AO on bottom.  The apparent difference in buttstock length is just a camera angle issue with taking a picture up close.  They are the same.  As I said, I can shoot my AO to my heart's content and not worry about it's performance, it failing, or it's historical significance being destroyed if I wear it out because everyone who sees my AO carbine assumes it's real and everyone wants to shoot it; it's that much fun to own.

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Those are both really sweet.  And that is a good way to go.  I don't really mind shooting my Carbines, but that's just me.  

I will say you have my skeptical meter pegged talking about 2 and 3 moa carbines.  But whatever.  Maybe I just can't shoot mine that well.

The first centerfire my son liked is one too.  I'm trying to graduate him to AR's at present.  But he sure does like the carbine.  I gotta get my Daughter on it too.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those are both really sweet.  And that is a good way to go.  I don't really mind shooting my Carbines, but that's just me.  

I will say you have my skeptical meter pegged talking about 2 and 3 moa carbines.  But whatever.  Maybe I just can't shoot mine that well.

The first centerfire my son liked is one too.  I'm trying to graduate him to AR's at present.  But he sure does like the carbine.  I gotta get my Daughter on it too.  
View Quote
A really good condition GI M1 Carbine with a near new barrel and handloads can get you to 3 MOA on a good day.  'Minute of coffee cup' at 100 yds is good shooting with one and I use to be able to do that 40 yrs ago.  My new AO produced an honest sub 2 MOA group with my handloads and the Type II rear sight, however, it took one of our really good 30 something CMP shooters to do it as my old eyes just can't match the carbine's accuracy.  However, I use my tweaked Ruger 583 Series Mini-14 and my Hornady 62grn handloads to shoot bowling pins at 200 yds so i've still got some skills left.

BTW, my son is older now, in his early thirties, and now he has his own collection including his favorite, his M1 Garands.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#13]
USGI all the way

Attachment Attached File

Top to bottom:
Quality Hardware barreled receiver built up with random USGI and Kahr parts and a new Boyd's stock.
Inland barreled receiver built up with random USGI parts.
National Postal Meter import marked, found at Tulsa last year
IBM import marked Blue Sky, found it in MA years ago
Irwin Pedersen, all matching IP parts, cost more than all the others combined
Underwood CMP Rack grade, refinished stock
Saginaw SG, import marked, Bavarian markings, was my first Carbine
Rock-Ola CMP Rack grade, actually in great shape
Standard Products, found at Cabelas
Saginaw S'G', CMP Rack grade and I can't tell why
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Ive got a 42 Inland and a 43 Inkand/Saginaw and then this Alpine as my shooter/fun gun. Its been great.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
USGI all the way

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/147241/FullSizeRender-315780.JPG

Top to bottom:
Quality Hardware barreled receiver built up with random USGI and Kahr parts and a new Boyd's stock.
Inland barreled receiver built up with random USGI parts.
National Postal Meter import marked, found at Tulsa last year
IBM import marked Blue Sky, found it in MA years ago
Irwin Pedersen, all matching IP parts, cost more than all the others combined
Underwood CMP Rack grade, refinished stock
Saginaw SG, import marked, Bavarian markings, was my first Carbine
Rock-Ola CMP Rack grade, actually in great shape
Standard Products, found at Cabelas
Saginaw S'G', CMP Rack grade and I can't tell why
View Quote
Don't get me wrong, I love the real GI Carbines.  I just wanted a decently accurate, commercial shooter I could run lots of rounds through without any guilt of wearing out a piece of history.

My NPM Carbine and my son's beautiful, 1+, Correct Grade, M1 Garand are being saved as part of his WWII collection.  He also has a CMP Special Service Grade (rebuilt with new Criterion barrel) M1 Garand as his shooter as I have my AO as my shooter.  Both of these shoot circles around even Correct Grade std GI versions with 1+ muzzle and 1+ chambers so the commercial barreled versions are significantly more accurate than even a pristine example of a Mil Spec, WWII era produced version.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot mine without hesitation. Parts aren't as cheap as they used to be but are still readily available.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Just now getting back in to carbines. I'd owned a dozen or so over the years but got away from them for a while. Starting to wish I never left.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
The only commercial carbines worth having are the ones built on the SA Inc receivers...
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only commercial carbines worth having are the ones built on the SA Inc receivers...
View Quote
Why do you say that? My Alpine has been fine and my dad has a Plainfield that he got in the 70's and has been fine, even with me abusing it as a kid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
As a US Army trained Armorer, trained specifically on the M14, M16, as well as the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine, I'm very knowledgeable about the strengths and weaknesses of small military arms, the M1 Carbine included.  Yes, a forged receiver is stronger than a cast one, however, the modern machining methods and understanding of metallurgy utilized in modern firearms, the real considerations of product design and execution and it's implications on product liability mean that manufacturers today must ensure that their products are safe.  The processes used and speed of manufacture required during WWII meant that not all was perfect in the manufacture of small arms during the war. Further, manufacturers of Gov't Spec items are specifically protected from all liability issues associated with Gov't accepted material.

As an example of minimum quality work, the Winchester produced M1 Garands and M1 Carbines are accepted to be some of the most poorly machined examples of the arms produced during the war.  Winchester was rushing to keep up with their contract requirements and cut corners, lots of them.  On the other hand, NPM GI Carbines are generally considered to the best examples of workmanship and smithing while the HRA Garands are considered to be the best GI Garands. 

As to modern, commercially produced weapons, I can only speak for the weapons I have or worked on.  My AO has been 100% reliable, accurate (for a carbine), and a joy to shoot.  With almost 5000rds through it already, it still looks and feels new with little to no signs of wear.  The action is as smooth as the day I got it NIB.  It locks up tight as ever and the lugs and ways are 'as produced'.  It shoots the same tight groups it did when new.  It's still as reliable as ever. And still handles both 15rd and 30rd mags with ease with its M2 mag release. 

It doesn't have a SA Inc receiver and doesn't need one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59096/LawsM3QHMC-316402.JPG

Just now getting back in to carbines. I'd owned a dozen or so over the years but got away from them for a while. Starting to wish I never left.
View Quote
Hot.  Nice weaver.  2.5x?  What can you get her to do with a scope on it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59096/LawsM3QHMC-316402.JPG

It's a K3, but it's just a stand-in until I get a repro M82 in. This rifle used to be my second most accurate carbine after an early Spring-tube Winchester, but the fellow I sold it to swapped nearly every part in it save for the barrel and receiver while he owned it. I'm hoping it's still as accurate, but won't know for a bit. I've ordered some Federal Power-shoks and Hornady critical defense.  A long ago ex-girlfriend's father had the IR M3 scope kit.  Would have been entertaining to have been able to throw it on this carbine to see what that monstrosity would be like.

I've hunted the last several years with a Mk12, but have gotten the reputation of being a nutjob for doing so.  I'm very eager to hear what they have to say this year with these.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh, you have a scant stock too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's sooooooooooooooooo beautiful.  I'm totes jealous.  In a good way.  Man that's nice.  

As far as the head turners, I swear I've seen a few older movies where a scoped carbine was used as an assassins rifle.    So you're gonna be in trouble.    Would love to see a range report on that one too.  Where you gonna be posting the reports.  

My next .30 cal report is going to be a weird one possibly.  I mounted my new fieldsport RDS on my Loaded M1A.  I wanna see if it will take the recoil and I can get it to group at all.   I've never tried an RDS on the big guy and for some reason it feels oddly very nice.

The M82 will look really good on a carbine.  I'm reading a book on sniping in Vietnam and there are a crap ton of pictures of that scope mounted on and M14.  The army used that config a lot early on in the war.  As they were developing their sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh, you have a scant stock too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's sooooooooooooooooo beautiful.  I'm totes jealous.  In a good way.  Man that's nice.  

As far as the head turners, I swear I've seen a few older movies where a scoped carbine was used as an assassins rifle.    So you're gonna be in trouble.    Would love to see a range report on that one too.  Where you gonna be posting the reports.  

My next .30 cal report is going to be a weird one possibly.  I mounted my new fieldsport RDS on my Loaded M1A.  I wanna see if it will take the recoil and I can get it to group at all.   I've never tried an RDS on the big guy and for some reason it feels oddly very nice.

The M82 will look really good on a carbine.  I'm reading a book on sniping in Vietnam and there are a crap ton of pictures of that scope mounted on and M14.  The army used that config a lot early on in the war.  As they were developing their sniper rifle.  
View Quote
Thanks!  I used to not like the scant stocks, but for some reason I've come to really like the look of them on an 03A4 clone.  I have a WWII era scope mount coming to replace this commercial, and I'll send the rings off to be parked.  I bought this rifle as a sporter sixteen years ago, and it's quite accurate. Hoping that it takes well to the new dress.

Not sure where I'll post a report yet, but I'll record what both rifles do at the range. I'm hoping to have a 1941 USMC sniper finished in time, too.

Look forward to hearing how that optic handles the recoil on the M1A, and what your impression of the rifle in use is. I used to have a clone of the M14 in Black Hawk Down, and while I never shot it, it sure pointed quick with the red dot on the ARMS mount.  I really liked it. A buddy of mine just thought he'd like it more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#25]
While certainly more valuable than they used to be ( with prices for good examples now more expensive than garands it seems) they are a pretty rugged design and parts are available enough I see no reason not to shoot originals. As long as they are not mint 100% factory original correct ( which almost none are at this point. Starting with a decent shootable condition carbine I suspect they will not wear anything out or break in thousands of rounds of shooting and in the unlikely event you break something parts are still easy to come by
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top