Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
Hey everyone i jus picked up my first m1a custom national match not at a total stranger to the m1 style action. I have my garand that I shoot in cmp and highpower matches and m1 carbine.
I have all the gas cylinder tools and what not to help with cleaning and maintence for my garand but obviously they dont work for the m14 style rifle.
I see sadlak makes great products for the m14 I plan on picking up their grooved piston to help reduce wear.
I was also looking at the gas cylinder wrench, and gi cleaning kit mostly for the chamber brush and and combo tool. and keeping the the rods in the buttstock only for emergency use.
is there anything else you would recommend or is consindered a must have.
What about the bolt roller greaser tool?
Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Castle nut wrench to get the flash suppressor off.  Don't get cheap ones, they deform easily.

Allen wrench to remove the castle nut set screw before attempting to remove the castle nut.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Get two commercial drill bits. A letter "P" size and a #15 (six inches long) to clean out the carbon build up in the gas piston. Those will cost you about $5. Or, you could spend five times that and buy the "M14 Gas Piston cleaning bits".
At the pistol range, pick up a couple of the many .40 Cal cases on the ground. Clean one out COMPLETELY to eliminate any dirt, grit, and primer residue. Force a live (or bullet only) 45 ACP bullet into the mouth to slightly bell and true the case mouth. Fill the case to the top with grease and force it onto the bolt roller. This will force the grease into the roller and lube the roller. Or, you could spend a LOT more money and buy the special tool that is made for this job.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Proper grease for the action and apply it where required.
Gas plug drill/s
Gas block wrench.
Combo tool for removing gas plug ( put a dab of grease or anti seize on threads )
The roller greaser can be made if you have a drill bit slightly larger than the roller diameter. Drill a shallow hole in a piece of aluminum , nylon , etc.
Castle nut pliers are nice to have.

Spare parts~
An extractor & ejector , plug and spring are nice to have.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the drill bits, and the GI combo tool.  I use a padded vise to pull the gas plug.  GI chamber brush
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What about the flash hider bore guide?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top