Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2002 2:43:24 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me anything about the thermold mags? Are they any good? Do they let the rifle function proporly?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've actually heard mixed reviews about the thermolds.  Seems a few had problems with fit and not locking the bolt open.  Coles has great U.S.G.I. for $360/10 mags delivered.  If you can find chinese mags, they work great and cost a little less than U.S.G.I. if you're buying small lots of mags.  HTH
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
If I remember right they don't hold the bolt open on the last round.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
How about those USA mags.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How about those USA mags.

TOTAL,I repeat TOTAL JUNK.The only thing USA mags are good for are trading in to Armalite to get a new AR10 mag body.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
how would i go about trading in a mag to armalite? i wasnt aware that ar-10 mags fit. whats the cost?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
To get a new AR10 mag body you have to send them a M1A/M14 mag body & $30.Or buy complete AR10 mags outright from Armalite for $85,or send in 5 USGI M14 mags and they will convert them to AR10 mags for $100.

They will not convert USA mags.When Armalite converts USGI mags they cut off 1/2 of the tab on the side of the mag.They will still work in a M1A but very soon that tab will break off and then they won't work in a M1A.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a couple of thermolds and they work fine and do hold the bolt back after the last round but I did have to make a little adjustment to the locking tab due to the fact that from the factory these tabs were slightly oversize and would break loose after the first round and not let the bolt catch the next one.  I took a flat file and carefully took off some material until they locked in and fed reliably and they now work perfectly but I would still only count on USGI mags for life and death matters.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never dealt with the Thermold mags for an M1A. I do, however, have plenty for my AR 15, and had some for my HK91. They're lfawless. I've never had one malfunction. I can't say that for some of my GI mags. IMO, Thermold makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...but I did have to make a little adjustment to the locking tab due to the fact that from the factory these tabs were slightly oversize and would break loose after the first round and not let the bolt catch the next one.  I took a flat file and carefully took off some material until they locked in and fed reliably and they now work perfectly....

I have yet to modify the Thermolds I have. I was told to file or cut away about an eighth of an inch. Comparing the Thermold to a USGI, I'm assuming that you need to file away an eighth inch from the bottom of the tab. Is that correct, too much, too little or just plain wrong?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I took a flat file and carefully removed material from the bottom of the locking tab until they locked securely and that solved the problem.  I couldn't tell you exactly how much I removed but I'm sure it was less than an eighth of an inch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top