Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2010 7:00:05 PM EDT
im looking for a long range accurate m14 to drop into a troy chassis. Strictly going to be a bench or prone shooter. I was thinking an SA super match, with a 22" barrel. Is it worth going with the supermatch or will say an 18" scout do the job. Im thinking 600 yd max range.

could i expect sub-moa from the scout in the troy or will i need the super match,

either way, the receiver will be changed out for a fulton armory preban to be ct compliant.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, getting consistent, sub-MOA groups with ANY M1A is difficult (but not impossible). Second, the rifle/stock combination are what will make the rifle, so putting a Super Match into a different stock automatically makes it something other than a Super Match, since the stock is bedded to the specific barreled action. I'm not familiar with the Troy chassis, but I think that you'll have your work cut out for you with any action you put in it. If you're looking for sub-MOA out to 600 yards, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that  the Scout would not be my first choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
SOCOM or SCOUT
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
my understanding with a bedded m1a is that if shot enough it must be re bedded to keep the accuarcy. I also understand that with the troy chassis the need for bedding is eliminated.

H2Oman, you mean to say the the extra money is not worth going with the super match. I figure i'll do it right the first time and be done with it. I like the idea of the 18" barrel so the scout may be the way to go.

I was told today i cant expect much more than a fist size group at 200yds with an m1a. Im hoping i can prove this guy wrong.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If your trigger control sucks you can't get MOA with any gun. Check out the loaded M1A, has a number of match grade components.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
im looking for a long range accurate m14 to drop into a troy chassis. Strictly going to be a bench or prone shooter. I was thinking an SA super match, with a 22" barrel.

If you choose to use a heavy NM barrel in the Troy MCS stock, you'll need to have the barrel turned back a bit (by 3/4") behind the gas cylinder because of the adapter block used for the top rail. The adapter block should not contact the barrel.

Quoted:
First off, getting consistent, sub-MOA groups with ANY M1A is difficult (but not impossible). Second, the rifle/stock combination are what will make the rifle, so putting a Super Match into a different stock automatically makes it something other than a Super Match, since the stock is bedded to the specific barreled action. I'm not familiar with the Troy chassis, but I think that you'll have your work cut out for you with any action you put in it. If you're looking for sub-MOA out to 600 yards, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that  the Scout would not be my first choice.

If the rifle is built correctly, sub MOA can be the norm. Many of my customers have reported under MOA with just std rifles I built . Parts selection & fit is crucial. Ammo selection is also a key to good accuracy.
The troy MCS stock will accommodate most every receiver made, including a Chinese receiver.

Quoted:
my understanding with a bedded m1a is that if shot enough it must be re bedded to keep the accuarcy. I also understand that with the troy chassis the need for bedding is eliminated.
I was told today i cant expect much more than a fist size group at 200yds with an m1a. Im hoping i can prove this guy wrong.

The Troy stock does eliminate the need for bedding as you stated.
When you install a receiver in the Troy stock, the last 1/4" (at the bottom of the receiver leg) will tighten up when seating all the way down.
My fist measures about 4-1/2" across. So getting groups under 4-1/2" should not be a problem unless something is seriously wrong with the rifle or in rare cases the shooter.

I just did a build using a Chinese receiver & heavy NM barrel on a Troy MCS stock.

Warbird

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4460/005wh.jpg

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6856/004hr.jpg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top