Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 8:10:01 AM EDT
Hi,

Since the "Important M14 Magazine Post" link above doesn't take me anywhere, and I've read Different's (great work) magazine FAQ, I was wondering about some magazines I saw in a local shop yesterday.

From the number and quality of welds, the follower and spring type, they appear to be USGI.  However, they don't have (there were 3 of them) any maker's stamps/marks on the back of the magazine, and none on the follower.  These mags are straight from Springfield Armory, Inc., and so my question is, does SAI used unmarked USGI mags (Different said there are some out there in his research), or do they grind down the maker's mark on USGI mags, and sell them as their own?

Ok, that was two questions.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
My Type 57 and Chicom  M14 mags do not have any markings on them.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes the USGI mags have marks that are really hard to see too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Zmeja: You may find the following link interesting:
The Lowdown on M14/M1A Magazines

Chinese (mainland Communist China) M14 magazines: Virtually all of the 20 round M14 magazines that you see coated in grease and/or waxed paper are from communist China. They are generally phosphated a very light gray color and practically pumped full of grease. They have no maker's mark. Beware of advertisements for "Original G.I. M14 magazines, new in grease." Odd are hey are NOT original, nor they are NOT G.I. (These ads remind me of the "Federal Reserve" (Its not a Federal agency, nor are there any reserves.) The folks at Fulton Armory tell me that the Chinese-made M14 magazines are reliable. However, I refuse to deal in them because China has a large network of "labor reform" (laogaidui) camps and prisons. They hold over ten million political prisoners, including many of those that were arrested following the Tiananmen Square massacre. Please don't buy any goods marked: "Made in China" Note: Original U.S.G.I. contract 20 round magazines were NEVER packed in grease before they left the factory. If you see grease or a light gray M14 magazine with no maker's mark, odds are 99% that it is from communist China.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I also read this:

"Refinished magazines: As the supply of M14 magazines on the civilian market has dried up since the September 1994 ban, many dealers have turned to re-phosphating any worn-looking magazines to keep up their inventories. The quality of this work varies, but in general, if they start with the original U.S.G.I. article, the end result is a good functional magazine. (But once re-finished they of course have little or no collector's value.) In recent years Springfield Armory has refinished thousands of G.I. magazines. Some of them look a bit nasty, since the magazines show pitting beneath the re-phosphating. The supply of M14 magazines is currently so scarce that Springfield sell their re-finished magazines for more than $50 each!"

These mags are the dark dark grey (almost black) parkerizing, and didn't come in packages or in grease.  The quality of construction is consistent (along with cosmetic appearance of welds) with USGI mags I have marked BRW, UHC, and W (which, according to Different's sources, is Westinghouse, not Winchester).  The markings aren't there.

I was curious about SAI either removing markings since I recently got an AR10 from ArmaLite.  Since ArmaLite hasn't released their new redesigned mags yet, all of mine are clearly M14 mags that were converted (shortened feed lips, new follower with plunger, new base plate with logo, and AR10 mag catch slot cut out of left side).  Instead of seeing makers marks of the original bodies on the back, I instead see where it looks like it was taken to a grinder, and a new stamp that says "US Patent X,XXX,XXX" in its place.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
According to the salesman at Check-Mate Industries that is handling the group buy I'm helping with, Check-Mate Industries supplies Springfield Armory, Inc. with twenty round magazines.   Those magazines are unmarked.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Different.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Try looking at them with a really bright light. A heavy park job can hide the markings. I had some USGI mags that were un marked until I took them out in the bright sun light and then I could see the markings. In Phoenix we have 300+ days a year that are sunny!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top