Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 10:01:19 AM EDT
Gentlemen,
We all know that the USMC adopted the M1 Garand on March 5, 1941. However, in 1940 I have a group of files that tell us a different story. The USMC wanted the "Fleet Marine Force" which I will let you Marines answer what it was to these guys. Anyway the USMC is asking that this Force be issued to them M1 Garand Rifles before the USMC had adopted the M1 Garand Rifle.

I would really like you guys to tell me what you think of this move. Why did they do it this way ?

I hope some of this data helps. Even more data on this subject next post.

So guys what do you think about this file??
Sorry about the post again I am dealing with old microfilm.

garandm1rifle@rcn.com
I hope you enjoy.

http://www.garandm1rifle.com

If you need a larger copy just email me.
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to read this data.
Clancy
PS I do need HITS on my TWO sites. I have to ask or the sites wil go down. I can only ask for this on a few sites I post to
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:11:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 12:14:16 PM EDT by Sukebe]
The Fleet Marine Force consists of the ground and air combat elements of the USMC. It does not include Marine security forces such as Mar Dets aboard ship and Embassy security. It also does not include Marines assigned as instructors or students at various training facilities or Marines assigned to the Pentagon and HQMC, Presidential security or Musicians assigned to the Marine Corps band and The Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps, etc.. Only bandsmen assigned to a division/wing band are part of the FMF. IOW Marines assigned to a Marine division or Airwing are included in the Fleet Marine Force
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:16:33 PM EDT
The Fleet Marine Force (FMF, or Fleet) is the operational arm of the Marine Corps. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Marine Divisions (as well as I MEF, II MEF, and III MEF) are all part of the FMF.

It excludes Marines on Sea Duty, Barracks Duty, Embassy Duty, Drill Field, Recruiters, etc.

Back then they were about a division strong, so the 11,500 if about right. They were asking for the rifle in 1940, and in 1941 they got it. That makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:56:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
The Fleet Marine Force consists of the ground and air combat elements of the USMC. It does not include Marine security forces such as Mar Dets aboard ship and Embassy security. It also does not include Marines assigned as instructors or students at various training facilities or Marines assigned to the Pentagon and HQMC, Presidential security or Musicians assigned to the Marine Corps band and The Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps, etc.. Only bandsmen assigned to a division/wing band are part of the FMF. IOW Marines assigned to a Marine division or Airwing are included in the Fleet Marine Force

You forgot the Marine Logistics Group (MLG) or Group Marines. Anyone in the operating force is considered the FMF. Although the term FMF was kind of supplanted years ago and replaced by the various MarFors (PAC, LANT, etc)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:28:03 PM EDT
Check this out! The Marines overpaid! Adjusting for inflation.....

What cost $100 in 1940 would cost $1330.71 in 2005.

See for yourself....Inflation Calculator
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:33:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LastDefender:
Check this out! The Marines overpaid! Adjusting for inflation.....

What cost $100 in 1940 would cost $1330.71 in 2005.

See for yourself....Inflation Calculator

Any manufacturer in the USA would have a difficult time building those rifles to Mil-Spec today for less than $1500. The Marines got a deal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:25:33 AM EDT
Top Top