Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/25/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
Gentlemen,
If you have followed the other posts about rain problems with the M1 here's the answer they Ordnance came up with. For the extra part each Riflemen would be given a oil can like 3/1 and he could oil his M1 through the hole that would be drilled into the oprod. Thus the oil would be on the felt keeping the M1 Garand going. This idea cost over 100,000 dollars. This is what they came up with.

IF you wish me to drop the Rain Files and go to something else just let me know. I just think this data is of interest. Do you???
I hope some of this data helps.

So guys what do you think about this file??
Sorry about the post again I am dealing with old microfilm.

garandm1rifle@rcn.com
I hope you enjoy.

www.garandm1rifle.com

If you need a larger copy just email me.
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to read this data.
Clancy
PS I do need HITS on my TWO sites. I have to ask or the sites wil go down. I can only ask for this on a few sites I post to
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:00:16 AM EDT
So THAT's what that little piece of felt I tossed away went! Darn!

No, this is intersting to me Clancy. Anyone who collects C&R stuff is always interested in knowing the minutia involving our firearms. It provide a very well rounded understanding of them. And, I, for one, was not aware of this "fix".

Rome
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:11:17 PM EDT
At some point did they come up with redesign of some part to alleviate the rain problem?

The reason I ask is, I just received an M1 from the CMP, dated 1955 and it didn't have any felt on/in it anywhere and my oprod doesn't have a hole in it. From the shape of the felt piece it looks like it should go into the cam in the oprod where the bolt hooks into it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:29:33 AM EDT
Gentlemen,
After spending this money for the felt to keep oil on the oprod someone said why not use grease and not oil in the field. With that Ordnance dropped the felt deal and just used grease. Crazy but there's the data.
Thanks again
Clancy
ps It does look like someone put the wrong year on the date but that's Ordnance fo you. If you guys like these that's what in the books
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:36:17 AM EDT
Keep it coming Clancy, good stuff.
Top Top