Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 5:23:02 PM EDT
I plan on shooting my correct grade H&R M1 this weekend for the first time. I don't have a go-no go set for this caliber.

Just curious, does CMP somehow verify that an M1 they sell is safe to fire as is?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:25:57 PM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:26:41 PM EDT
They are checked for headspace and test fired with a few rounds.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:52:12 PM EDT
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:03:16 PM EDT
In May of 2004, I accompanied two CMP armorers, to an offsite contractor who test fired 300 M1 Garand rifles (6 wheeled racks with 50 rifles to the rack). As alluded to above, a special four shot en bloc clip was used on each rifle. Guns were shot into an elaborate, snail shaped bullet decellerator. Armorers stood immediately outside firing chamber and were handed rifles which failed. After the problem was diagnosed, trigger groups, bolts, and in some cases, op rods, were exchanged. The rifle was then handed back to contractor or his assistant, who then fired the required four rounds. All rifles eventually passed. At the time, these rifles were USGI service and rack grade rifles and they all were in nice shape. The 100 service grades, if memory serves me correctly, functioned flawlessly. Some problems were encountered when the 200 rack grade rifles were test fired. Contractor, by the name of John, mentioned he had test fired some quarter million rifles for CMP. The whole process has been recorded on film and or magnetic media and could be retrieved on some firearms-related forums. HTH
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:06:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buchkshot:
In May of 2004, I accompanied two CMP armorers, to an offsite contractor who test fired 300 M1 Garand rifles (6 wheeled racks with 50 rifles to the rack). As alluded to above, a special four shot en bloc clip was used on each rifle. Guns were shot into an elaborate, snail shaped bullet decellerator. Armorers stood immediately outside firing chamber and were handed rifles which failed. After the problem was diagnosed, trigger groups, bolts, and in some cases, op rods, were exchanged. The rifle was then handed back to contractor or his assistant, who then fired the required four rounds. All rifles eventually passed. At the time, these rifles were USGI service and rack grade rifles and they all were in nice shape. The 100 service grades, if memory serves me correctly, functioned flawlessly. Some problems were encountered when the 200 rack grade rifles were test fired. Contractor, by the name of John, mentioned he had test fired some quarter million rifles for CMP. The whole process has been recorded on film and or magnetic media and could be retrieved on some firearms-related forums. HTH

[Keanu Reeves] Whoa! [/Keanu Reeves]
Top Top