Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 1:44:45 PM EDT
Have a Garand, wanted to know if it works well (cycles).

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT SHOT THIS AMMO IN A GARAND!!!!

This ammo is too hot and has uses a VERRY slow powder!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto the above, Get some Greek ammo from the CMP, it shoots very well, is non-corrosive, boxer primed, brass cased. I've shot alot of it, It's very accurate ammo. I reload, but bought a couple cans anyway just to try it out,  If I did'nt reload I'd buy all I could... it's good stuff. Forget the cheap russian ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:43:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ditto the above, Get some Greek ammo from the CMP, it shoots very well, is non-corrosive, boxer primed, brass cased. I've shot alot of it, It's very accurate ammo. I reload, but bought a couple cans anyway just to try it out,  If I did'nt reload I'd buy all I could... it's good stuff. Forget the cheap russian ammo.

Is this the olympic brand or something different?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
What's up with the belt at the case web?

The Greek ammo from the CMP is military surplus. Oly is 100% commercial.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 - do not use in a semi auto. I tried it in a Remington 7400 and in the first 2 rounds had 2 failure to extract's. I quit and gave to a friend with a bolt '06.  This has always been my concern with Wolf 30 cal ammo also - not the Wolf GOld which is both excellent and not mf'd. by Wolf.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought about 8 boxes of this when I got my first Garand -  before I knew anything about Garands and proper ammo. I shot 5 rounds of it with a gas regulated plug. I had the port so open that the rounds did not eject. I decided it was not worth it and put the ammo aside. Ended up giving it away.  

Go the Greek route with the CMP.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]

MauserMark:
No, it's made by HXP...It's excellant ammo. I remember a few years back, that .303 Enfield shooters were always looking for Greek .303 HXP ammo, now I know why, Their 30-06 ammo is damn good stuff. The 30-06 the CMP sells is HXP packed on Enbloc clips in bandoleers, some of the clips and all of the bandoleers are U.S. made. The non U.S. clips are mostly Danish(?) I think, all work perfectly.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several boxes of this stuff, and have shot it in my bolt action rifle. After one box, I said I wouldn't shoot it anymore. I had several rounds that were hard to extract. The little ring around the base of the cartridge swells out when it is fired. I don't know if it is supposed to work like a belt and help the steel case to seal, or what. Another problem is that the excessive case sealant got everywhere in my Remington 700. The last round I fired, I thought I wasn't goint to be able to get the bolt open, after that I said "no more".

If I was in a dire situation, I would shoot it, but not if there was an alternative.

**Edited to say.. I think that the other Barnaul products would be fine. I have heard good things about their .223, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot some of their 7.62X54, or 7.62X39. I just didn't like the .30-06.
JMHO
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought some today from SG for 5.97 a box, but I'm only shooting it out of a bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top