Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/16/2006 1:44:45 PM EDT
Have a Garand, wanted to know if it works well (cycles).

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:22:10 PM EDT
DO NOT SHOT THIS AMMO IN A GARAND!!!!

This ammo is too hot and has uses a VERRY slow powder!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:55:25 PM EDT
Ditto the above, Get some Greek ammo from the CMP, it shoots very well, is non-corrosive, boxer primed, brass cased. I've shot alot of it, It's very accurate ammo. I reload, but bought a couple cans anyway just to try it out, If I did'nt reload I'd buy all I could... it's good stuff. Forget the cheap russian ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:43:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ralph:
Ditto the above, Get some Greek ammo from the CMP, it shoots very well, is non-corrosive, boxer primed, brass cased. I've shot alot of it, It's very accurate ammo. I reload, but bought a couple cans anyway just to try it out, If I did'nt reload I'd buy all I could... it's good stuff. Forget the cheap russian ammo.

Is this the olympic brand or something different?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:32:21 AM EDT
What's up with the belt at the case web?

The Greek ammo from the CMP is military surplus. Oly is 100% commercial.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:29:01 AM EDT
+1 - do not use in a semi auto. I tried it in a Remington 7400 and in the first 2 rounds had 2 failure to extract's. I quit and gave to a friend with a bolt '06. This has always been my concern with Wolf 30 cal ammo also - not the Wolf GOld which is both excellent and not mf'd. by Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:42:41 AM EDT
I bought about 8 boxes of this when I got my first Garand - before I knew anything about Garands and proper ammo. I shot 5 rounds of it with a gas regulated plug. I had the port so open that the rounds did not eject. I decided it was not worth it and put the ammo aside. Ended up giving it away.

Go the Greek route with the CMP.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:20:48 PM EDT

MauserMark:
No, it's made by HXP...It's excellant ammo. I remember a few years back, that .303 Enfield shooters were always looking for Greek .303 HXP ammo, now I know why, Their 30-06 ammo is damn good stuff. The 30-06 the CMP sells is HXP packed on Enbloc clips in bandoleers, some of the clips and all of the bandoleers are U.S. made. The non U.S. clips are mostly Danish(?) I think, all work perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 7:20:40 PM EDT by chevyrulez1]
I have several boxes of this stuff, and have shot it in my bolt action rifle. After one box, I said I wouldn't shoot it anymore. I had several rounds that were hard to extract. The little ring around the base of the cartridge swells out when it is fired. I don't know if it is supposed to work like a belt and help the steel case to seal, or what. Another problem is that the excessive case sealant got everywhere in my Remington 700. The last round I fired, I thought I wasn't goint to be able to get the bolt open, after that I said "no more".

If I was in a dire situation, I would shoot it, but not if there was an alternative.

**Edited to say.. I think that the other Barnaul products would be fine. I have heard good things about their .223, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot some of their 7.62X54, or 7.62X39. I just didn't like the .30-06.
JMHO
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:50:43 PM EDT
I just bought some today from SG for 5.97 a box, but I'm only shooting it out of a bolt.
Top Top