Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 3:44:59 PM EDT
I read a post by HBrun that this is true.  Anyone have any information on this?

I thought they all were safe to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
48 viewes and no one has input?

Nevermind, forget I asked the question.  The CMP web page answered the question for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I've just now  viewed your post looking for info and only found your second post. I have nothing to confirm or deny as far as your question. However I am still curious about the answer to your question which it seems you have found. Care to share and enlighten the rest of us?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The rifles you get from CMP are most probably safe to shoot. They are not guaranteed to be safe, and you have to sign a waiver to this effect when you buy.

Their "Lawyer Language" is the source for my original statements. All of the feedback and everything I have heard about the CMP is that it is run by good great folks who know what they are doing and provide excellent service.

Look at the info on CMP's order form:

I also acknowledge that the rifle which I am applying to purchase is a military surplus arm in used condition and is sold to me strictly “AS IS”,
WITH NO WARRANTY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. I understand that:
1. This rifle may not function properly or be safe for me to use in the condition in which I receive it.
2. This rifle is not to be fired until it has been disassembled and cleaned, thoroughly examined by a competent gunsmith familiar with its internal mechanism and safety features, and any unserviceable parts replaced or other deficiencies corrected.
3. The use of ammunition that does not meet U.S. military standards in this rifle can be dangerous.

Since the Rack grades are the cheapest/lowest grade, your chances of getting a marginal one are greater.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The only reason the rack grades are rated as such is because the excessive barrel wear and not so great wood.... safety or the lack there of has nothing to do why they are rated as a rack grade...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
They are headspace checked and function tested with a few rounds before going out. A detail strip of the rifle is a good idea not only to clean it but to familiarize yourself with the rifle, www.civilianmarksmanship.com/detailstrip.html. If you have any reservations then a trip to a local gunsmith to have it checked out is in order. I have purchased 3 RGs and have had no problems with them nor have I heard of any problems concerning safety from anyone using proper ammo in them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
E-mail recieved from CMP today.

We test fire all Garands, to include the rack grades to make sure they
function properly. Our customers report that they fire all grades of our
rifles, right out of the box, without incident.

However, because of the age of the rifles, we recommend all of our grades be
checked by a qualified gunsmith before any use.

Thank you for the inquiry!

CMP Customer Service

Sorry I sounded snippy guys.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Good info folks!
I was under the impression that CMP rifles were sent out still wearing Cosmoline, and were only disassembled enough to do throat erosion, muzzle wear, and safety checks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I may be wrong about the headspace check. I was going by what a volunteer had said about checking headspace while he was there and I do not remember if he was working on Garands or 1903s.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats the only grade that I buy, and they are safe.

Shoot away.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The Garand I got this week had very little cosmoline left on it, all I did was wipe the gun down, put a little CLP on where it needed it, and clean the bore.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I got this one right out of the CMP shipping box, ran a swab down the barrel, and then shot 400 rounds through it.....and yes, it is a "Racker".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top