Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:35:44 AM EDT
Thanks for the info, But I am having another problem now. I tried to diassemble my rifle yesterday I cannot get the Op Rod to release out of the receiver. Tried for about 45mins. Very Very Tight. I lign op rod with  the notch in the receiver and it will not release. WTF!! Should I send this back to Springfield Armory??

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Standard for a new rifle.  When new, I clamp the receiver in a padded vice, line up the notch and consciously pull up and away.  It gets better with time, but when new can be very frustrating.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information. I was getting pretty pissed off.

Quoted:
Work around the oprod.  Prying it out can damage it.  As the rifle wears in it may loosen a bit.  It's better to be too tight than dismount when cycling the action.

Note the disassembly notch on the M1A is not in the same position as the M14.

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
wrap scotch tape around the blade of a small thin flathead screwdriver, use it to pry up and out.  New oprods take  a little breaking in.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
New oprods take  a little breaking in.

I shot out a barrel and still have to use a screwdriver to pop the oprod out.  Align the lug at the very back of the oprod with the dismount notch under the rear sight.  Pull up on the oprod handle and try to rotate it CW at the same time.  If it hasn't come out by now, use the screwdriver to gently pry the hump of the oprod.  It should only take a little pressure (I use a bare screwdriver and have never marred the finish).

Ty
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If you look carefully at the op rod cut out in the receiver, you will see that they left a little ridge in there. Some of these ridges are higher (thicker) than others. The ridge on mine was so thick that I nearly damaged my op rod getting it out the first time. I put my receiver in the mill and thinned that ridge down a bit. Now my op rod comes out with just a little force and never jumps out during firing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top