Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 7:22:35 PM EDT
Well i got my first M1 Carbine today and a gun show for $600
Here is what i know about it so far
1943 Quality Hardware & Machine Co with an 1943 IBM corp. barrel , flat bolt , proof marked stock , and thats about i know about it.
I do know its one of 359,666 total Quality Hardware & Machine Co carbines made during the war. A total of 6,221,220 carbines where made during the war from all the makers put together.
And from what i found so far also that Quality Hardware & Machine Co only made the recivers and got all the other parts from other makers to assemble their rifles. If this is true than my rifle most likly has the orginal barrel on it.
Any one have any more info. please share it.
Thanks E3

I also got a M1 Garand two weeks ago at a gun show its a 1943 Springfield with a SA 1-43  barrel date so it still has the origal barrel on it and its all SA except for the trigger housing and its a HNR

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking carbine.

I have been thinking about getting one also.  I just picked up an M1 Garand at a gun show today also.

Springfield very early gun with a 209,XXX S/N.  Springfield '50 barrel and Springfield bolt.  Have not had time yet to check manufacture of the other parts.  Has been refinished obviously.  Should make a nice shooter or display piece.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle's guys.  I also had a QHW  carbine a few years back.  If I remember correctly it had a 6-43 Underwood barrel.  Typical mixmaster.  I had to quit shootin' the old girl after I discovered the gas cylinder had a nasty crack in it.

Beautiful Garand hotrodtba!  Give us a range report when you take it out.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yours looks like a post-war rebuild.  That bayonet band wasn't used until the end of WW-II.

There appear to be some other late parts on it as well, but it's hard to tell.  There's a book by a guy named Riesch that has all the information you'd ever want to know about carbine parts.

I'm still looking for an UnQuality receiver on something some day!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have my books with me right now, but I will look up the info tommorow, and post back here.
Nice war baby.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys. I am starting to see a pattern in my guns i am slowing going old school. I build a SP1 AR-15 a while back and now these two WWII rifles.  
E3
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys. I am starting to see a pattern in my guns i am slowing going old school. I build a SP1 AR-15 a while back and now these two WWII rifles.

Hey, old school is great, and there's nothing like running a tactical carbine course with an M1 carbine!

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
1943 Quality Hardware & Machine Co with an 1943 IBM corp. barrel , flat bolt , proof marked stock , and thats about i know about it.
I do know its one of 359,666 total Quality Hardware & Machine Co carbines made during the war. A total of 6,221,220 carbines where made during the war from all the makers put together.
And from what i found so far also that Quality Hardware & Machine Co only made the recivers and got all the other parts from other makers to assemble their rifles. If this is true than my rifle most likly has the orginal barrel on it.
Thanks E3
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/EARRNHARDT3/m1carbine001.jpg

BBL is most likely original depending on the serial # (~1.6 mil?).

Nice looking highwood stock. Is it marked Q-RMC in the sling cutout. If not, what are the "proof marks"?

Now you must completely disassemble and list all the maker marks on all the parts in true carbine collector fashion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks E3
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/EARRNHARDT3/m1carbine001.jpg

BBL is most likely original depending on the serial # (~1.6 mil?).

Nice looking highwood stock. Is it marked Q-RMC in the sling cutout. If not, what are the "proof marks"?

Now you must completely disassemble and list all the maker marks on all the parts in true carbine collector fashion.

the marks in the sling cut out is LW-B and on the left side just below the rear sight and a little back on the stock it's marked AAX  and then the P in the pistol grip area
here are some of the markings on some parts
bayonet lug band  MMQ
bayonet lug  EMQ
mag release  M
safety  N
rear sight   SA
trigger housing  Q-NL
recoil spring housing  Q
slide "U" inside of circle
flat bolt  SU

rifle serial # 4679XXX

Every thing else is not marked or i don't know where to look for the makings
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you get that from Gabe's?  I looked at that one a couple times.  Nice clean rebuild (Augusta Arsenal if I recall).  Decent price in today's market.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Did you get that from Gabe's?  I looked at that one a couple times.  Nice clean rebuild (Augusta Arsenal if I recall).  Decent price in today's market.

Yes it came from Gabe,s.  How can you tell it was a Augusta Arsenal rebuild?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it came from Gabe,s.  How can you tell it was a Augusta Arsenal rebuild?

The AAX signifies Augusta Arsenal.

Your carbine was part of the last contract Sept. 43- May 44 encompassing Serial #s 4,632,100-4,879,525.
Bolt and slide are Underwood.
Rear Sight is a Springfield Armory replacement.
Mag release and safety are also replacements.

Everything should have a marking of some sort on it. Sometimes the trigger assembly part markings aren't apparent without a disassembly. The handguard is marked on the underside.

I have a nice Quality Hardware Stock if you want to trade for your IBM stock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]

The AAX signifies Augusta Arsenal.

Your carbine was part of the last contract Sept. 43- May 44 encompassing Serial #s 4,632,100-4,879,525.
Bolt and slide are Underwood.
Rear Sight is a Springfield Armory replacement.
Mag release and safety are also replacements.

Everything should have a marking of some sort on it. Sometimes the trigger assembly part markings aren't apparent without a disassembly. The handguard is marked on the underside.

I have a nice Quality Hardware Stock if you want to trade for your IBM stock.

Thanks for the infromation and i think i will keep my stock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top