Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 2:44:27 PM EDT
I want to buy a M1 garand for my father who was on the marine competition rifle team from 1960 to 1963.

Would cmp be the best place to find something really close to what he would have been shooting? I would like to give him the best rifle for what I can afford (around 700). Should I go with the highest grade I can afford, or would I be better off buying a lower grade rifle and having it reconditioned?

Any and all input on this would be great I want to do this the best I can for him.

Thanks

Cody
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:17:31 PM EDT
You should be able to pick up a really nice rifle for $700 from the CMP.I think that puts you in the "correct" grade ballpark.Not sure though havent looked at prices in awhile.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:29:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:27:06 AM EDT
Get your dad a cmp service grade rifle for 500+shipping. When it comes in, if the stock is good(it should be) then look at the metal. The finish should be real good. Take the left over money and buy ammo from cmp(768rounds at 192.00).

They also have field grades at 395. I got one, metal is 85 to 95% finish. the barrel is still good witha muzzle erosion of <2(messures at 1.5 the same as a new remington 700). The only draw back to this grade is the stock condition you may get. Mine will need the handguards replaced but the stock is in very good condition.

Bottom line with 700 bucks spring for the service grade and a case of ammo(comes in clips already). Then go to the range and say"Dad can I shoot it plleeeeeeezzzzzzzzeeeee?".
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT
Wow I thought the correct grade were cheaper.A service grade should get you a really nice rifle though.
Top Top