Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 5:32:17 PM EDT
I went to my armorer's shop today, and he has this M-14 type rifle sitting there. I have seen it there for a while, but never took a close look at it.

Today was the exception - I got a look at it, and it was a 1994 or 1995 production Springfield Armory M-1A. It was assembled/tuned by the US Marine Corps Rifle Team. Turns out, my coach at Camp Perry ( 2005 Whistler Boy Championship ) owned this rifle while he was in the service. He shoots Palma these days, and I guess he decided to get rid of it.

This rifle does have the bayonet lug, so I'm thinking it is a pre-ban, although I didn't think of writing down the serial number. It didn't have any barrel markings. It was glass bedded VERY nicely, the trigger was very finely tuned with a smooth pull and crisp break, and it had a hand-lapped TRW bolt. It had a leather sling on it that looked like it could tell you some stories.

My smith' was asking $1,500 for it. I think this is a GREAT price, as I am leaning towards an M-14 for and 600/1,000 yard work I will be doing in competition. I know the M-14 can still be very competitive at these ranges - I just need to get the barrel twist and barrel type down...

There lies one problem. I just set aside $800 for a Rock River Arms National Match rifle, and I won't touch my bank account for a long time ( I'm a bad spender ). HOW on earth can I scrape up $1,500 in a few months, not counting my salary? Anyone here have any ideas? I can't let this rifle fall into the hands of a guy who might bubba-ize it...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:43:55 PM EDT
Sell your soul...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:46:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 5:49:17 PM EDT by Blackjack272]
I'm thinking about it. That rifle was a beautiful one, finely maintained with an established record.

VLODPG, I hate you with every cell in my body.

You guys think I found a keeper?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VLODPG:
The Cure for M-14 Desease.

Best cure ever
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:49:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blackjack272:
I'm thinking about it. That rifle was a beautiful one, finely maintained with an established record.

VLODPG, I hate you with every cell in my body.

You guys think I found a keeper?

Give your armorer a layaway payment to hold the M1A. Work a second job to pay off the balance on the M1A.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
Don't Be hatin!
Just because I have a LRB SN #>300 I bought mine after the MK specialities fiasco went down & waited months for the LRB to become available. Yes! It is still with the gunsmith waiting to be finished but I got in when they were at the intro price of $499.00.

Wish I had a newer one without the dot matrix printing though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:14:32 AM EDT
You could sell some blood, sperm, or a Kidney. Or try a layaway plan. Small loan form a credit union?

There is no known cure for the M14 bug. You are DOOMED!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 1:49:56 PM EDT by RL15]
In your post you said the rifle was assembled by the Marine Corps rifle team, IF so.
Dont worry about the bayo lug. Take a better look at the rifle.
It should be DOUBLE lugged, with a match grade barrel if so and the barrel is not worn out .
It is a steal at 1500, Buy it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:17:31 PM EDT
CFE738... how much will you get from donating plasma? Is it a painful procedeure?

I'm not sure I trust small credit unions, so I'll keep away from that.

RL15, I'm relatively sure the rifle was a Supermatch, in which case it is double lugged. I'm going to call him and ask about the barrel and round count.

Damn... Anyone willing to buy an air rifle, or a VCR? I need this thing so bad. I had a dream about this thing.

Does anyone know how the Supermatch will hold up at the 1,000 yard line? Will 175gr. Sierras ( M118LR or Black Hills eqivalent ) bend the op-rod?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:11:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 3:13:16 PM EDT by RL15]
M14s/ M1as dont have the op rod problems that M1 Garands do ,
And Springfield Armory Did not start threading the rear lug intil the last few years.
And they never put a front lug on.
Talk to your armorer he will show you or explain it to you more clearly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:40:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Blackjack272:
CFE738... how much will you get from donating plasma? Is it a painful procedeure?

I'm not sure I trust small credit unions, so I'll keep away from that.

RL15, I'm relatively sure the rifle was a Supermatch, in which case it is double lugged. I'm going to call him and ask about the barrel and round count.

Damn... Anyone willing to buy an air rifle, or a VCR? I need this thing so bad. I had a dream about this thing.

Does anyone know how the Supermatch will hold up at the 1,000 yard line? Will 175gr. Sierras ( M118LR or Black Hills eqivalent ) bend the op-rod?

My $0.02, if I was competing at 1000 yards I'd have Smith Enterprise, Inc. install a M118LR chambered Crazy Horse barrel on my Super Match M1A and also install the Crazy Horse hammer and trigger pins and connector lock. You can shoot the M14/M1A with 175 grain cartridges but it's hard on the system unless you modify it.

For further background information on the M14/M1A, see the freebie no registration web site www.imageseek.com/m1a
Top Top