Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 10:58:46 AM EDT
Well it came today, overall it's pretty good but my opinion initially was disappointment with the wood.

The rifle is a greek return Springfield from 1956 I'm guessing by the barrel.
I'm not sure if it's greek reparked black or if this is actually the late dark grey.  You tell me if you can.  The metal looks really good finish wise.  The stock, sigh..... well it's ugly and not walnut.  Very thin blotchy red finish, it's getting redone or replaced, not sure yet.

in the box

overall

Receiver, right side

Reciever, left side

Wood match, (not), forend, handgaurds are unfinished replacement mystery wood with worn unrefinished ferule

business end

Well this it for you inquiring minds, overall I got my money's worth but not a perfect perfect gun.

SoS

For those of you that care I'll give you the parts break down.

Receiver markings on Rt. leg

T5
F 6528291

Bolt

D28287-12SA
S-B10 with a diamond at the end

Barrel

T Sa F 6535448      5 55     MD 50  (edited to fix date screwed it up 2 different ways)
P

Op Rod

65355382-HRA

Trigger Assm

6528890-SA

Hammer SA D5546008
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
what price did you pick it up for?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
How is the bore and muzzle crown?  Before you spend a lot of time on it, take it out and make sure it functions and shoots fairly tight.  Mine kicked the clip out after two rounds.  

I traded it for a Rem 700 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what price did you pick it up for?

$500 bucks plus 22 and change for shipping------CMP pricing
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How is the bore and muzzle crown?  Before you spend a lot of time on it, take it out and make sure it functions and shoots fairly tight.  Mine kicked the clip out after two rounds.  

Unscientific bullet test, M2 ball in muzzle leaves a little more than 3/8 inch exposed.
bore looks very sharp.
I think it may be a reparked action as the chamber face/feedramps are blackened.
Can't budge the gas cylinder, but I expect to have some problems with the handgaurd wood.  Op rod cut ou notch is hit by the op rod handle.  It's oversized and still rough wood.

SoS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What a maroon moron idiot!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a 1965 barrel, not '56

What is the S/N?  That's how you determine when the rifle was originally made.

ETA: I've got one with a mid 60's barrel (SA SG) and it shot great.  (It is in TOO nice of condition.  I retired it from active shooting and got a SA FG for a shooter - it will hold the 10 ring at 200 yards)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The stock, sigh..... well it's ugly and not walnut.  

That looks like a fairly nice birch stock. Just needs some TLC.

Go to M1 Garand forum and do a search for birch stocks.  There is (at least) one guy there who makes them look pretty darned good.

One example:
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!
I need to get on the stick and fill out some paperwork
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a maroon moron idiot!

I traded a $400 korean return that needed parts and was homely for a $750 rifle that shoots.    10 years later, it still shoots.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
That stock looks a hell of a lot better than the Winchester FG I received last week.  My stock's replacement has already been ordered.   The only "neat" ie- non-Springfield- part I received was the gas cylinder.

From the pics, it looks like you have the Greek black repark.

From the sounds of it (tight gas cylinder) and the muzzle guages well, I'd say you'll have a great shooter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unscientific bullet test, M2 ball in muzzle leaves a little more than 3/8 inch exposed.
bore looks very sharp.
I think it may be a reparked action as the chamber face/feedramps are blackened.
Can't budge the gas cylinder, but I expect to have some problems with the handgaurd wood.  Op rod cut ou notch is hit by the op rod handle.  It's oversized and still rough wood.

SoS

Well the bullet test puts the ME under 2 proubly under 1.5. Ya need a gauge to really tell.
Rifle looks great, better then the handguards that came with my FG.
Shoot the darn thing and report back. I'll be testing mine when my greek ammo comes end. The only thing found wrong with mine, besides the handguards, was a missing lower band pin and the lower band  was cracked. CMP is shipping the replacements as we speak.

Ya might want to talk to them about the stock and see if they will swop out the wood.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The stock, sigh..... well it's ugly and not walnut.  

That looks like a fairly nice birch stock. Just needs some TLC.

Go to M1 Garand forum and do a search for birch stocks.  There is (at least) one guy there who makes them look pretty darned good.

One example:img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/JimScharf/Dscf0789.jpg

Wow to that finnish!  If I can get this to look like that I'll leave it alone!  Thanks I needed that!

SoS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ETA: I've got one with a mid 60's barrel (SA SG) and it shot great.  (It is in TOO nice of condition.  I retired it from active shooting and got a SA FG for a shooter - it will hold the 10 ring at 200 yards)

I see that now, when I first looked at the barrel there was cosmo in the numbers.  I later cleaned it an wrote the numbers down but it didn't click at that time.

My sn is 5,878,187  In Duff's book that's the last big batch '56-58.  

SoS
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice, mine is on the way but I won't be home to pick it up due to my surgery. I'll have to pick it up afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bore looks very sharp.

SoS

Well the bullet test puts the ME under 2 proubly under 1.5. Ya need a gauge to really tell.
Rifle looks great, better then the handguards that came with my FG.
Shoot the darn thing and report back. I'll be testing mine when my greek ammo comes end. The only thing found wrong with mine, besides the handguards, was a missing lower band pin and the lower band  was cracked. CMP is shipping the replacements as we speak.

Ya might want to talk to them about the stock and see if they will swop out the wood.

Eh regarding that stock, It's luck of the draw, I can live with that, looking at the inleting it looks newer and pretty well made, I'll see if I can steam out the crushes and gouges and refinish it.  Or I could get a nice ram line stock for it and drill and tap it for a leapers scope.

SoS

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a pretty good "fire" birch stock on that. The handguards look like unfinished birch. Are there any of the beech crescents on the handguards? If not then I would say birch. You got the black Greek park as well but it seems to be in good shape. Nice SG!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My double bad, I just pulled the handguards, it is a 55 barrel, probably original, the 65 was erroneous me
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That is a pretty good "fire" birch stock on that. The handguards look like unfinished birch. Are there any of the beech crescents on the handguards? If not then I would say birch. You got the black Greek park as well but it seems to be in good shape. Nice SG!

Nope no beech spots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd keep that stock.  It is a really nice flame/tiger birch one.  Here's a pic of what my SG HRA came with.  The tiger striped walnut came with the SG IHC that it is in in the pic.  Complete luck of the draw on that one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/mfblog/Guns/M1%20Garand/M1Garands-Right1.jpg
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Stock looks like all birch, nice to get it all in one rifle.  What sucks is getting a blonde mainstock and black oil soaked handguards.  
Some medium brown fiebing's leather die or military gun stock stain would darken it if you wanted that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 2 Greek return Service Grade Garands.
Both are sweet shooters.
I cleaned them up, some Teak oil and some beeswax and that's it.

Number 1 CMP Garand

Number 2 CMP Garand
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:44:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Those are nice rifles Ka3

I stripped my stock last night and steamed out the big crushes.  They came out pretty good.  I got a couple that didn't take but that's ok.  Just good to get rid of a half dozen stabs from op rod handles with in a 2x2 patch and the obligatory sight knob rosettes.

I think I'm going to pick up USGI birch forends for this eventually but I'll try to match these for now.  

This should turn out pretty good.  I have the linseed oil, turpentine, need to pick up some beeswax and find a good dye for the wood.  I want to keep it the reddish color the military used.

SoS
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I want to keep it the reddish color the military used.

SoS

You realise, of course, that they did not use stain on the stocks?

The reddish color is a product of time.  The absorbtion of grease, oils, dirt, etc.

If you want that look, from what I understand, Chestnut Ridge has a mil. rifle stain that fill the bill.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#24]
is this where I say damn damn damn?  
I should have realized it acts like pine paneling.  I had heard that the linseed slowly causes this to happen over time too.  
O well, at least I got a lot of the butt ugly dents out.

So if I put nothing but linseed oil on it, it will go back to red on it's own?
Hmmmmm
Wonder how long that takes?  I really don't like stocks white, maybe I'll try the chestnut ridge.
Z man was telling me that's what he uses.

SoS
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So if I put nothing but linseed oil on it, it will go back to red on it's own?
Hmmmmm
Wonder how long that takes?  

Don't know how long it would take.

Plus, the original walnut stocks were a darker color to begin with.

link to Chestnut Ridge stain
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#26]
MinWax Red mahogany stain
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Snafu,

you got a pic of how that red mahogany stain turned out on birch?  I'd be real interested.  I see some online that were done with Chromium Trioxide but it's supposed to be nasty to handle.

Steel on steel
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice rifle and nice stock!  That fire birch is beautiful..........  If you don't want it.  Send me an IM I'll take it off your hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top