Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 10:27:49 PM EDT
The other day, I shot 40 rounds of what I didn't know was "mildly corrosive" ammo through my M1 Garand...I believe Korean Manufacture ammo. Sadly, I won't be home to clean the gun for two more weeks...do you guy think I'll return to pile of rust..or will I just need to scrub the hell out of the bbl the night I come home? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:09:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt it will turn to a pile of rust...but it isn't going to be all good either.

From what I've read, there is no such thing as "midly corrosive", it's either corrosive or it isn't. The "mildly" was added by some marketers to try and sway sales.

I usually carry a small bottle of ammonia/water mix and run a few patches before I leave the range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:07:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. the bore will probably be rusted along with the op-rod, and gas cylinder. Is there anyone at home that could field strip and clean for you while you're away??If they could get at it now you might have a chance, For what it's worth, the Greek ammo the CMP sells is not corrosive and very accurate, It might cost a little more tha the korean stuff does, but it's not corrosive either.... MSG is quite right, there is no such thing as "mildly corrosive" That's like being just a "little" pregenant....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been corected, they did.  
And like it was mentioned. If you are going to shoot corossive ammo pour water through your barrel and gas system parts before you leave the range, to help neutralize the salts from the mercury based primers.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Well If it were me and I didn't have a knowledgeable friend nearby and all I had were women folk back home who didn't know guns or M1s, I'd call home and have them drop it off to a gunshop that cleans guns and directions to explain that it was shot with corrosive ammunition.  I know it sounds stupid to pay someone to clean your gun for you but lazy nimrods do it all the time due to ignorance or overly complicated rifles.  

In your situation seems like a cheap thing to do, $20-30 to avoid darkening your barrel.
Good luck!

SoS

PS that service is cheaper than the gas home from college or wherever you are off to!

PSS Korea produced both corrosive and noncorrosive .30 cal ammo.

headstamp KA = "korrosive"
headstamp PA= "probably alright"
PS="probably safe"       (thanks for those who caught my slip)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is there anyone at home that could field strip and clean for you while you're away??

+1 If nothing else, you might ask someone to spray some windex to kill some of the salts down the barrel, on the bolt and into the gas cylinder.

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah.  Have someone spray it with windex(with AMONIA)  Then wait and see.  I shot some corrosive Korean by mistake and waited a week and it did absolutly nothing bad.  Other have had problems so you don't know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:13:51 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are in a high humidity area then you need to clean it - make sure it is being stored in a well venilated area - WIndex idea is fine except someone still needs to run a patch down after words. I would have someone take it to a local gunshop, explain the situation and ask them to do a quick clean. Most shops will be glad to help as they don't want to see a good rifle messed up by a screwup.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont think the Koreans produced any corosive 30-06 most of their stuff was made in the late50s and 60s if it was korean you should be OK.
And like it was mentioned. If you are going to shoot corossive ammo pour water through your barrel and gas system parts before you leave the range, to help neutralize the salts from the mercury based primers.  

Isn't all of the "KA" corrosive?  I haven't seen any advertised as being not.

KA = corrosive
PS = noncorrosive
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont think the Koreans produced any corosive 30-06 most of their stuff was made in the late50s and 60s if it was korean you should be OK.

Isn't all of the "KA" corrosive?  I haven't seen any advertised as being not.

KA = corrosive
PS = noncorrosive

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would have someone take it to a local gunshop, explain the situation and ask them to do a quick clean. Most shops will be glad to help as they don't want to see a good rifle messed up by a screwup.

This is an excellent idea.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys...I'll call a buddy... I'm not sure of the head stamp... eitherway.. I'll get some windex on it...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#14]
All better....heck of a nice guy...cleaned the whole gun for me...said things didn't look bad at all. Thanks for the imput guys...lesson learned...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top