Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 4:11:59 PM EDT
    Many Great people on this and other boards have listed build information on receivers, bbls, op rods, follower, etc.. Some even know if a particular piece is rare or not .

I would like to know the names of the best/easiest to use book/books to use to do the same.

I just have the need to do this legwork without asking for help.  ( Although, I will most likely need some tutoring figuring out how to use the new books )

Thank you in advance,

Steve
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
scott duff,
he has 2, one for WWII and one for post war,

hatcher's book of the garand is a good one to have also

try duff's website, (scott-duff.com )
or abebooks.com

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The different web sites are really the best way, Duff's books are generally good, but his postwar book is so hopelessly out of date it really isn't much help. Not Duff's fault, it's a good source of what was known at the time it was written,(1989) but the knowledge base on the post war Garands is far more developed nowadays.He's supposedly revising it, but it's not expected anytime soon.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the best I have found is "A Collector's Field Guide by J.C. Harrison", "Collecting the GARAND II"
Really gets down to detail on correctiness. Found it on eBay.

I have nine (9) Garands now and use this book exclusively.

JOM
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Bruce Canfield has a number of books out there that are quite useful. I have 'U.S. Infantry Weapons of World War II' and 'Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1Carbine'.

http://www.brucecanfield.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top