Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/27/2006 11:40:00 AM EDT
I like my SOCOM 16, but I hate the noise maker at the muzzle some might call a muzzle brake. I called Smith Ent about installing a Vortex, but a Vortex will not work on a SOCOM Ron tells me. So what do you all think some options are. There is not a expansion chamber in the brake, so replacement should be no problem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:40:35 AM EDT
Anyone? Surely some of you have this same question.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:44:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CannoncockerUSMC:
I like my SOCOM 16, but I hate the noise maker at the muzzle some might call a muzzle brake. I called Smith Ent about installing a Vortex, but a Vortex will not work on a SOCOM Ron tells me. So what do you all think some options are. There is not a expansion chamber in the brake, so replacement should be no problem.

======
That is precisely why Springfield Aromry (sic) made the SOCOM with the odd-ball threads and why they do not sell the gas lock/MB separately: to slow down the efforts of those looking for an alternative. I firmly believe it was a business decision.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:50:32 AM EDT
Couple months back this came up, Mark at Arizona Response Systems modified a SOCOM by replacing the blast enhancer with an open ended Steyr short flash hider.Good looking piece and he indicated that he would do the same for customers I think.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:01:55 AM EDT
That's interesting. So really all you need to do is replace the muzzle device, correct? How does the factory muzzle break attach to the gas lock?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:30:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mach6:
That's interesting. So really all you need to do is replace the muzzle device, correct? How does the factory muzzle break attach to the gas lock?

I can't remember how it was accomplished, been a while.I can recall that the break was removed from the gas cyl lock, I want to say it's threaded, but don't quote me on that. Then the flash hider attached to the SOCOM lock. There were a couple threads on the Fal files where it was discussed, and I think one here a while back. All around two to three months ago.

However it was done, I'd give it a shot. ARS isn't known for turning out crap.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:10:49 PM EDT

The Socom flash suppresor by Arizona Response Systems.The Socom is a one piece muzzle break/gas lock/front sight base with odd ball threading.Other than the custom one off by Gunplumber at ARS I don't know of anyone currently even working on a replacement,never mind having them ready for sale.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:29:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MadBodhi:The Socom is a one piece muzzle break/gas lock/front sight base with odd ball threading.

Yep, I was wrong on the threaded part. Did some searching on the 'files, and they had to machine the unit to accept the flash hider. If I had a SOCOM, I'd go for it just cuz I don't care for muzzle breaks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:56:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bishopm14:

Originally Posted By MadBodhi:The Socom is a one piece muzzle break/gas lock/front sight base with odd ball threading.

Yep, I was wrong on the threaded part. Did some searching on the 'files, and they had to machine the unit to accept the flash hider. If I had a SOCOM, I'd go for it just cuz I don't care for muzzle breaks.

Bishop -- Thanks for checking it out. That pretty much confirms it for me: SA Inc does not want anyone else to diddle with their SOCOM rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:57:32 AM EDT
Precisely why I didn't buy the one I laid away after shooting a friend's.

Top Top