Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:05:45 AM EDT
How would you guys rate this barrel? TE of almost 5 and MW measures 3. Shiny bore, chromed gas port with no pitting or frosting at all. Nice looking overall with the typical wear where the op-rod runs on the lower chamber area. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:04:12 AM EDT
Rack Grade barrel... muzzle wear is high... $50
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:14:20 AM EDT
Depends on how serious you want to get with this rifle you described.

My Springfield Greek rack grade has a MW of 5 or more. It swallows a 30-06 down the barrel to where the casing starts.

Not sure what the throat erosion is, but I bet it's not pretty.

Bore is dark.

So clearly...my bore is a lot worse than yours. Using milsup ammo, I shoot about a 5" group at 100 yards from a bench....and I'm not even a very good shot. These rifles are still accurate enough even with a "shot out" barrel.

Of course, this won't do for competition shooting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:23:02 AM EDT
Thanks for the input . Actually found this barrel at a flea market. Considering that is a 12-43 Springfield barrel, guess it could be used for a restoration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:40:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR10TShooter:
Thanks for the input . Actually found this barrel at a flea market. Considering that is a 12-43 Springfield barrel, guess it could be used for a restoration.

With a chromed gas port?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:02:24 AM EDT
Is it unusual for a 1943 barrel to have a chromed gas port? Numbers on the top of barrel read D35446-26-A-53-A & on the side reads 3-S-A-12-43. I'm pretty new to this M1 stuff
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:41:38 AM EDT
At one point, the M1's gas port was not chrome plated. This is one way to tell of early WWII era barrels that were NOT re-parked or went through arsenal rebuild. During re-builds, etc. the port was chromed while the rifle was in for overhaul and before being refinished as well. At some point (can't recall for sure) all barrels made new were chromed. I just about bet that an original 43 dated barrel was not chromed, but I may stand to be corrected on this. If this is the case, a true restorer will not offer as much or even want a chromed port barrel, that is for a "true" restoration.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:22:17 PM EDT
That's why I love this place! Learn something new every day. Thanks to those who share the knowledge.
Top Top