Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 10:37:53 AM EDT
I recently received a federal Ordnance CSA14 (M1A) rifle in trade for some parts I had sitting around.

anybody familiar with this particular rifle?  I put a few rounds through it at the range and it runs well (groups about 1 inch or so at 100 yards), nice trigger.

I know Fed Ord has a crap reputation, but I have never heard of a CSA marked fed ord rifle before, and it seems to run ok. (the op rod has been replaced with a USGI part)

I looked over the innards briefly to make sure nothing was too out of whack... think I should have it checked out by a smith anyhow???
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Having 50K + of hot gas, brass, etc. inches from my face and hands tells me that I would have it checked out.

Some of the Fed Ords are okay and some aren't. Better make sure which one you have.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The headspace is fine, no bolt face pitting and the firing pin is fine.

Any other potential issues I need to be aware of??  Perhaps from someone that has owned this rifle (CSA14).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Fed Ord M-14 self destruct while I was shooting it. I would never own another one of their products. I was lucky that all I got was some cuts on my forehead from cartridge brass. My shooting glasses protected my eyes thank god.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a very late manufacture Federal Ordnance M14SA receiver, serial number 602XX.  I'm going to have it nitrocarburized and converted to a USGI bolt.  Then I will be comfortable with it for my own sake.  FWIW
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a M14SA marked Fed ord briefly.  It was pretty accurate, had a nice Winchester barrel.  I returned it to the shop as the bolt kept dismounting off the op rod.  They gave me a refund.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#6]
In the late 1980's a friend had a Federal Ordnance M1A type rifle. It had all USGI parts, I remember it being a nice rifle, he traded it off and regretted it later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I had an early Fed Ord ser#85XX with all GI parts and wish I'd never sold it.  Never a problem and its Winchester barrel was accurate as could be. Everything but the barrel was TRW.. At least a friend has it and I can still shoot it.

I just got another one, but this one was built with Chinese parts.  It's marked :

U.S. RIFLE
7.62 MM M14SA
FED. ORD. INC.
EL MONTE, CA
C-007x

These receivers with a C serial number prefix were sold to Century and built with Chinese parts. It goes out next week to Warbirds Custom Guns for a USGI bolt conversion. I am also sending a Winchester barrel with it in case the GI bolt won't headspace to the ChiCom barrel. After conversion, I plan on shooting the sheet out of it.

If it doesn't have one, at the very least, I'd have a USGI bolt conversion done on it.

AIRBORNE!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top