Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 10:37:53 AM EDT
I recently received a federal Ordnance CSA14 (M1A) rifle in trade for some parts I had sitting around.

anybody familiar with this particular rifle? I put a few rounds through it at the range and it runs well (groups about 1 inch or so at 100 yards), nice trigger.

I know Fed Ord has a crap reputation, but I have never heard of a CSA marked fed ord rifle before, and it seems to run ok. (the op rod has been replaced with a USGI part)

I looked over the innards briefly to make sure nothing was too out of whack... think I should have it checked out by a smith anyhow???
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:31:32 AM EDT
Having 50K + of hot gas, brass, etc. inches from my face and hands tells me that I would have it checked out.

Some of the Fed Ords are okay and some aren't. Better make sure which one you have.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 2:24:04 PM EDT by Tripwire]
The headspace is fine, no bolt face pitting and the firing pin is fine.

Any other potential issues I need to be aware of?? Perhaps from someone that has owned this rifle (CSA14).
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 10:39:24 PM EDT by Gunluster]
I had a Fed Ord M-14 self destruct while I was shooting it. I would never own another one of their products. I was lucky that all I got was some cuts on my forehead from cartridge brass. My shooting glasses protected my eyes thank god.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:17:49 PM EDT
I have a very late manufacture Federal Ordnance M14SA receiver, serial number 602XX. I'm going to have it nitrocarburized and converted to a USGI bolt. Then I will be comfortable with it for my own sake. FWIW
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:12:35 AM EDT
I had a M14SA marked Fed ord briefly. It was pretty accurate, had a nice Winchester barrel. I returned it to the shop as the bolt kept dismounting off the op rod. They gave me a refund.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:07:50 AM EDT
In the late 1980's a friend had a Federal Ordnance M1A type rifle. It had all USGI parts, I remember it being a nice rifle, he traded it off and regretted it later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:48:00 PM EDT
I had an early Fed Ord ser#85XX with all GI parts and wish I'd never sold it. Never a problem and its Winchester barrel was accurate as could be. Everything but the barrel was TRW.. At least a friend has it and I can still shoot it.

I just got another one, but this one was built with Chinese parts. It's marked :

U.S. RIFLE
7.62 MM M14SA
FED. ORD. INC.
EL MONTE, CA
C-007x

These receivers with a C serial number prefix were sold to Century and built with Chinese parts. It goes out next week to Warbirds Custom Guns for a USGI bolt conversion. I am also sending a Winchester barrel with it in case the GI bolt won't headspace to the ChiCom barrel. After conversion, I plan on shooting the sheet out of it.

If it doesn't have one, at the very least, I'd have a USGI bolt conversion done on it.

AIRBORNE!

Top Top