Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 5:42:40 PM EDT
looking to buy a M1A for a plinking/hunting rifle and i dont know much about them
I know my best route is to probably go with a SA with USGI parts but i hear bad things about SA quality control on the recievers
do you think a stock polytech is worth the money if i plan on puttin some usgi parts or should i stay away from that all together
let me know what u experts think
thanks
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
If you could get a Poly , for the right price , i would go with it , S.A. are good IMO - on swappin the chinese parts for U.S.G.I -- this can get real expensive - so make sure if you swap out the barrel & bolt & gas cylinder , you know how much this is going to cost you ---- it may be less $ to just buy the S.A. ..
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:54:05 PM EDT
are polys reliable tho?
whats a good price on a poly
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:02:22 PM EDT
I have not priced them , but i seem to rem. seeing one for sale on G.N. for around 6 --
lottsa rumors a few years back on the bolt & barrel steel being too soft on the chinese guns , probally B.S. , - but the price of the U.S.G.I. M-14 parts is real high & will probally go higher IMO- it is a really cool rifle , one of my favs. i bought a S.A used & old , from a local G.S. , and it had all U.S.G.I parts on it ---- this would be a ideal thing for you to look for if you could get one of these for around 1K. or under
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:59:47 PM EDT
The receivers, barrels, op rods, and gas systems on the Polys are almost always good to excellent. Rear sights and trigger groups parts are a problem on SOME--easily fixed. Bolts are the big deal--usually long headspace and/or soft metal. You might get lucky but should prolly count on swapping the bolt for a USGI and this MUST be done by someone who really knows what he's doing. At today's prices, parts and labor, this will run you $300 or maybe a bit more--depends on how lucky you get on a bolt price.

Polys seem to be changing hands in the $600-650 range lately though I've heard of them going as little as 4 and as much as 8. Keep the bolt conversion price in mind and comparison-shop with used SAs.

Oh, figger on a USGI stock, too, but those are cheap. I've bought several at gunshows for $20 each.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 8:22:34 PM EDT by Accord]

Originally Posted By bigrig:
looking to buy a M1A for a plinking/hunting rifle and i dont know much about them
I know my best route is to probably go with a SA with USGI parts but i hear bad things about SA quality control on the recievers
do you think a stock polytech is worth the money if i plan on puttin some usgi parts or should i stay away from that all together
thanks

Buy a real M1 Garand from CMP with actual history behind it for a fraction the price of an SA, it's just not worth it to buy a new SA when there are still real M1 Garands available from CMP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:12:14 AM EDT

thanks

I'm not an expert, but I have a rifle built on a Springfield receiver and another being built on a Norinco.
Whatever you choose factor in the cost of possibly adding GI parts.
Shopping around for an older Springfield safe queen that has some GI parts is also a good idea.

Visit Different's M1A site for all sorts of valuable information.
I have links to 4 other M14/M1A related forums on my web page

HTH ~
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:19:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:12:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Accord:

thanks

Buy a real M1 Garand from CMP with actual history behind it for a fraction the price of an SA, it's just not worth it to buy a new SA when there are still real M1 Garands available from CMP.

In his first post, it states he's looking for an M1A, not a Garand.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:19:54 AM EDT
I just bought my new Springfield M1A Standard a few weeks ago and LOVE it! I've only shot 140 rounds through her so far, but I LOVE THIS GUN! I put a new Springfield 2nd Gen 4-14X56 scope on there. I just have the Leapers mount on for now, but will likely get the Smith mount later this Spring.

Top Top