Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 2:02:19 PM EDT
I dug my old M1 out of the safe today....she hasn't seen the light of day for a while.  She's a 50's era model, all SA, reimported from somewhere as indicated by the ARI Ord stamp on the end of the barrel.

The exposed metal on the rifle appears to have been "painted" with a durable brown substance.  It does not come off during cleaning and I never really paid attention to it before but now I'm curious.  

Anyone know what it is?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
nothing?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I had some of the same on one I received.  Near as I could figure it was just dried linseed oil or cosmoline.  Pretty tough to get off.  Fingernail polish remover worked on it.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the tip.....you were spot-on.  Sat down with some of the wife's polish remover and it's doing the trick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top