Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:18:37 PM EDT
My loving wife just told me I can buy a Garand to replace the one I sold to get an AR15.
Ain't she nice?
I have a choice to make, either a Garand from the CMP or an M1A I have spotted at a pawn shop. I may be able to get the M1A for under $700.00, maybe. I need to talk to the manager.
The CMP has Service Grade and Field Grade Garands.
They have Service Grade Springfield Armory rifles for $500.00 and Field Grade Winchester rifles for $600.00.

Which would make the better buy?
Garands may be drying up soon, and there is a lot of history with the Garands.
The M1A has better ammo available, maybe.

It would be used for casual target shooting/plinking.

Ideas?
Jim

NRA Life Member
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what kind of M1A it is.  Can you be more specific?  $700 would be dirt cheap for a Springfield Armory.  I don't know about the other brands.  I saw a Fed. Ord. in a pawn shop once for about $750 IIRC but passed on it.

As much as I like the M1A, I'd have to say get the Garand first.  There is just something about them.  I think when you pick one up and rack the op rod back, you can instantly tell "they don't make em like this anymore."
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the M1a, A S.A. recent manfacture with little on no USGI parts..I'd get the M1 from the CMP. S.A. makes M1A's every day of the week, If on the other hand a older S.A. with all GI parts on it except the receiver, and the bore is good, jump on it. If it's a Polytech, get the M1, most poly's will need some work to get them right, Most CMP M1's won't. The M1's the CMP has, won't be around forever, They may very possibly be gone in the next 3-4 yrs 3-4 yrs from now, you'll still be able to get a M1a...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
EASY.......If the M1A is a Springfield, GET IT NOW!  If not, get a CMP Garand, best value in my opinion is a Field Grade SA............

Of course, eventually you'll need both  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I am pretty certain it is a Springfield Armory. I have not handled one before and don't know what to look for as to USGI parts, etc. I am not even sure of the variations in the M1A.

If I can't get the price down to one I like I will probably go with the Service Grade SA Garand.
There is something special about the Garand, and as much as I like my AR I miss my Garand. I have always regretted every rifle I have traded or sold.

Rangemaster, I agree the Field Grade SA is a great value. I want the bes rifle I can afford. Is the Service Grade better than the Field Grade by enough to justify the orice difference?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Rangemaster, I agree the Field Grade SA is a great value. I want the bes rifle I can afford. Is the Service Grade better than the Field Grade by enough to justify the orice difference?
Jim

I like the way you think.  If I could only have one Garand from CMP, I would buy the SG Springfield Armory M1 just as you are considering.  (Thats what I have)  

PS, If the M1A is a Springfield Armory and its only $700.00, then it doens't matter if it has USGI parts, its a steal either way and USGI parts on it will just be a bonus.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Get both!!! If the M1A is a SA I'd check out the GI parts count. Bolt, BBL, op rod trigger assy. If there were a few I'd get that first as that price if it's in decent shape is pretty darn low.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is a Springfield, get the serial # and call them. Cust svc will tell you when the rifle was made and which model it is. If it has a bayo lug it should already be in your safe nice and safe .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
If that M1A is a Springfield, grab it! Don't worry about GI parts at that price. $700.00 is cheap even if it is an all commercial Springfield.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Depending on the M1a, A S.A. recent manfacture with little on no USGI parts..I'd get the M1 from the CMP. S.A. makes M1A's every day of the week, If on the other hand a older S.A. with all GI parts on it except the receiver, and the bore is good, jump on it. If it's a Polytech, get the M1, most poly's will need some work to get them right, Most CMP M1's won't. The M1's the CMP has, won't be around forever, They may very possibly be gone in the next 3-4 yrs 3-4 yrs from now, you'll still be able to get a M1a...

I looked at the M1A again today. It is a Springfield Armory. The receiver looks fairly new. The barrel is stamped TRW looking through the opening on the side with the bolt back. No other markings that I could find without stripping it down.
It does not have a bayonet lug. The flash suppressor looks like it may have been installed later. I can't really say why, but it looks like there is a gap between the barrel end the the suppressor base.
The front sight where it surrounds the barrel looks more used than the barrel. USGI?
I asked for his lowest price. He says $750.00, which is more than I have to spend. I asked if he would take $600.00 and he hesitated. When I get the money I will walk in with it and see what happens.

Would you give $600.00 for what may be a post ban M1A?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Just for reference, I gave 950 for this 2002 Springfield Loaded with commercial parts..

Springfield armory had a lifetime warranty. USGI or Commercial parts covered....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Just for reference, I gave 950 for this 2002 Springfield Loaded with commercial parts..

Springfield armory had a lifetime warranty. USGI or Commercial parts covered....

It has what I believe is a 10 round mag, no sling, a surplus M14 wooden stock that does have the cutout and a cartouche. No, there isn't a selector to go with the cutout in the stock.

If they will take $600.00 I will take it.
If not, I will get a service grade Garand from the CMP.
Yeah, poor me!

Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]
M1A and save up for that Garand.

Max
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to add that the M1A also has some kind of scope mount on a dovetail in front of the rear sight.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you get the serial # off the receiver and call Springfield as suggested ??

Customer service will tell you how this rifle was shipped from the factory.........

Good luck and Cheers !!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I looked at the M1A again today. It is a Springfield Armory. The receiver looks fairly new. The barrel is stamped TRW looking through the opening on the side with the bolt back. No other markings that I could find without stripping it down.
It does not have a bayonet lug. The flash suppressor looks like it may have been installed later. I can't really say why, but it looks like there is a gap between the barrel end the the suppressor base.
The front sight where it surrounds the barrel looks more used than the barrel. USGI?
I asked for his lowest price. He says $750.00, which is more than I have to spend. I asked if he would take $600.00 and he hesitated. When I get the money I will walk in with it and see what happens.

Jim

would give him $750 for the rifle with out a doubt.  When you could find the TRW barrels there were selling anywhere from $250 to $300 just for the barrel.  If you do not want it can you find out if the pawn shop would me will ing to sell it and ship it to an out of state FFL.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

would give him $750 for the rifle with out a doubt.  When you could find the TRW barrels there were selling anywhere from $250 to $300 just for the barrel.  If you do not want it can you find out if the pawn shop would me will ing to sell it and ship it to an out of state FFL.

Are the TRW barrels something special, like a match barrel, or are they just a milsurp barrel?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Are the TRW barrels something special, like a match barrel, or are they just a milsurp barrel?
Jim

They're "just" a surplus USGI barrell, but they are good. Some folks who should know better will spend all day trying to convince you TRW is worlds better than the other three main USGI manufacturers, but they all met the same standards.

$750 for an M1A with a TRW barrell is a deal, even if everything else is total crap an SA receiver and TRW barrell could be parted out for that much or more in many places.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy the M1A for 700.00.

Sell it on the EE here for 950 to 1000

Then buy your Garand. and a bunch o ammo.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Get the (or an) M1A, it's an "improved Garand" or what the Garand evolved into.  There is something awfully special about a Garand but it only holds 8 rounds.  If you want one eventually you'll find one but right now go with an M1A and don't look back.  I think you'll enjoy it an awful lot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
This rifle may have a bayonet lug after all. I have been looking at the pics of M1As that I can find. I haven't seen any bayo lug that looks like I m\am familiar with on a Mauser, etc.
Anyone have a pic showing theirs or a link to a pic showing the lug?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This rifle may have a bayonet lug after all. I have been looking at the pics of M1As that I can find. I haven't seen any bayo lug that looks like I m\am familiar with on a Mauser, etc.
Anyone have a pic showing theirs or a link to a pic showing the lug?
Jim

Click on this link and scroll down just a little.  The firat M!$ clone rifle you come to has a bayo lug on it.  Its on the bottom of the flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Ahhh, nevermind. I went in and picked up an Arisaka I had on layaway and looked at the M1A again. The manager was there and he said he couldn't go lower than $800.00. He sold the CAI Garand for $989.00 so he may get that for the M1A, but I can't spend that much.
Oh well, I guess I will have to settle for a Service Grade Garand from the CMP.
Poor poor pitiful me!

Later,
Jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If that M1A is a Springfield, grab it! Don't worry about GI parts at that price. $700.00 is cheap even if it is an all commercial Springfield.

Thought it seems to be a moot point now... I TOTALLY agree. Who cares whether it had USGI parts or not for that price! If it was an SA, and in good shape $700 would have been a steal.

I got my NIB SA M1A a few weeks ago. Serial number is 159859, so I think that's brand new this year manufacture. Had to email them because the rear sight was bottomed-out and still shot high. But they sent me a taller front sight immediately with only one email. Besides that the gun has been flawless. And the barrel IS marked TRW. So I'm starting to think that all of this slagging that goes on around here about new SA's and USGI parts is a little (or a LOT) overdone. I'd always rather have forged parts than cast. But there's not a thing wrong with my new M1A and I expect it to stay that way. I just put an SA 2nd Gen 4-14X56 scope on it and I really like it so far. I had been planning on the SuperSniper 10X40, but this SA scope was a good deal and seems to be a pretty good scope. So far I am very happy with my SA purchases.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#24]
<---<<< Read this.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
<---<<< Read this.

???

Jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#26]
My screenname show my preference.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to think I didn't "need" a Garand because I had an M1A.  

Now I have three Garands (with a 4th ordered from the CMP) and rarely take out the M1A.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top