Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 6:30:54 PM EDT
Nothing real serious. Just compete for fun in NRA/DCM matches.  Are there combat matches like IPSC?
Anyway, do I really need a National Match type M1A? I was thinking of just getting the Standard with nothing extra. My favorite gun dealer says at least buy the Standard Loaded with the medium NM barrel and other goodies.
Give me some advice, please.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to do the IPSC type matches with an M1A type rifle get a socom 16.  Other than that, I have no clue, I'm looking right now to get a nice M1A myself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, for "service rifle" matches, the gun pretty much as to be in "as issued" configuration, with minor allowances for local legal regs. So, if you plan on running an M1A, you'd have to go with the 22" barreled variants.

I have no such interest in these things, and I went with an 18" Scout for "run and gun" type competition.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Not trying to steer you away from an M1A but in HP or CMP EIC matches ARs are easier to shoot than M1As. Cheaper too.  Most competitors and the winning ones shoot ARs. An M1A/M14 rifle requires more maintenance than ARs i.e. glass bedding etc.  parts availability is another factor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Really, ARs? A stock Bushmaster be ok? Does it have to be a heavy barrel?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]
A stock  Bushmaster is a great rifle to start with. Get the H-BAR,  the extra weight helps  when shooting offhand and in rapid fire strings.  You can up grade the rifle as your skills progress ie. float tube, two stage trigger, NM sights etc. I started shooting high power 15 yrs ago and this is the way i went. Be carefull it can be VERY addictive! Good luck. PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top