Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:53:36 AM EDT
I bought an M1A a short time ago, and took it out for its second range session this weekend. The first time and this time both, I have had bad problems with FTE/shells bulging in the barrel so they are extremely difficult to remove. I am shooting South African 7.62 headstamped R1M1 and A 80. Anyone else had this problem? I had the same problem with some Port ammo. When I called springfield they said it was most likely due to the ammo being surplus, and that I should try federal or LC ammo. I have fired the SA stuff without any problems at all in my FAL and M1 Garand in .308. Anyone else have this problem?

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:26:04 AM EDT
There have been many recent manufacture Springfield M1A's with oversize chambers and/or excessive headspace. I have re-barreled several from clients that were NIB and would not fire without problems similar to yours.

I would contact Springfield and see if they will fix it. I really doubt they will repair it under warranty as none of my clients had any success with their warranty claims. Good luck. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:28:14 AM EDT
I've shot just about all of the surplus Nato stuff out there in all of my Nato rifles, including my polytech and have never had one stick for any reason. The Portuguese stuff is gorgeous ammo as is the Spanish stuff. So I don't think it's the ammo.

The only way to know, however, would be to try a commercial round in that rifle. My guess, however, is that you've got a chamber that needs a good cleaning and maybe polishing. When you removed the brass did you notice any scratches along the walls? I know from my own experience that one of my old rifle did have some debris that was not removed while cleaning so I just polished the chamber carefully with a brass brush and a drill and that got it all out, clean as a whistle. You didn't indicate if your rifle was new. If it is new, and there are scratches on the brass, I'd ask SA to clean it for you.

Rome
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:32:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RockHard13F:
When I called springfield they said it was most likely due to the ammo being surplus, and that I should try federal or LC ammo.
-Ben

I call bullshit on them. I have shot over 7k rounds of aussie, port, argentine, sa, hirt, & malaysian thru 3 different M1As, never had the problems you've described. In other words, SAI isn't willing to stand behind the problem on your rifle. Hold their feet to the fire and make them fix it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:39:52 AM EDT
Could it have anything to do with shooting 7.62 in a .308 chamber, combined with serious headspace issues ? I would say try some domestic .308 ammo, then if you have the same problems, bug the living shit out of Springfield.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:45:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:53:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raf:
Does your M1A have a Match barrel, and hence a Match chamber?

shouldn't matter; I shoot surplus in my Loaded
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:14:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911builder:
There have been many recent manufacture Springfield M1A's with oversize chambers and/or excessive headspace. I have re-barreled several from clients that were NIB and would not fire without problems similar to yours.

I would contact Springfield and see if they will fix it. I really doubt they will repair it under warranty as none of my clients had any success with their warranty claims. Good luck. Charles the Gunsmith.

Thanks for the info. I will try the deep cleaning mentioned by later posters, and if that doesn't fix it I will look at getting this fixed.

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:29:27 PM EDT
Ive fired some rounds in my poly using some Hirtenberger rounds (Austrian). I havent had the problem. Im gonna try out some Israeli rounds this weekend and some SA rounds next weekend. If you clean it and it is still fudgin up i would take the above aformentioned advice and call SA out on its bluff.

Damn, after reading all these posts on disgruntled and less than satisfyied SA M1A owners im glad i got a poly
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:16:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RockHard13F:
I bought an M1A a short time ago, and took it out for its second range session this weekend. The first time and this time both, I have had bad problems with FTE/shells bulging in the barrel so they are extremely difficult to remove. I am shooting South African 7.62 headstamped R1M1 and A 80. Anyone else had this problem? I had the same problem with some Port ammo. When I called springfield they said it was most likely due to the ammo being surplus, and that I should try federal or LC ammo. I have fired the SA stuff without any problems at all in my FAL and M1 Garand in .308. Anyone else have this problem?

-Ben

Does your M1A have a Harrington & Richardson M14 barrel made before 1961?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:11:58 PM EDT
I think you got my reject barrel from when I sent mine back!

Ummm not to bash Springfield Armory Inc. but yeah they can be sloppy.

I have a "loaded" M1A with stainless NM barrel. I bought it, shot it a few times and stashed away and fired it several years later. It was then I had problems split necks on UMC casings. I sent the gun back and they rebarreled it.

I stashed it away again and didn't shoot it. When I did I got gouges showing on my brass and a a couple partial case head seperations. I examined the chamber and saw all kinds of ugly marks from the chamber reamer pulling chips around. My gunsmith made me send it back as it was unfit to polish as the "rings" were too deep to polish out.

I sent it back again and they rebarreld it again. I shot it and the brass looks ok. But I hadn't shot it much since then. But I did buy 1500 rounds of nice FN ammo for it. Hmmm it's been warm out, I'll go shoot it.

So yes SA inc quality control is lacking but they did stick by their warranty in my case.

SoS
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:29:54 PM EDT
My Poleytech eats anything I feed it.Wanted to get a springfield armory but for a $1300 base price and no more chrome lined barrels I think they are overpriced and not enough standard features for the money.My 13 year old chinese rifle shouldnt be better than whats coming new out of their factory nowadays.
Top Top