Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:50:03 AM EDT
Any advice/suggestions for a newb getting into the M1A for the first time? I'm a Long time Garand shooter, It their much difference in recoil, sights, handling. Where can I find good GI parts kits?. I want to get as close to USGI as possible. Chromed lined barrel is a plus. I was looking at a Bush rifle. Any thoughts.Set me straight differant! lol. I wont be shooting highpower matches. I Just want a nice light rifle to shoot for fun, Maybe shoot the camp Perry John Garand shoot, shtf situation. I'm either thinking a standard or a bushy. I don't really want a Springfield Inc cast receiver.. I can't afford a $2000 buck fulton armory either though.  I wish CMP would/could demile and sell the old M14's to civvies. I signed the petition but It'll never happen will it? lol. Any advice and suggestions on what to get and where to start would again be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]
to get a used USGI rifle, prepare to spend $1200.  Or, buy a more recent one with fewer USGI parts for about $1000.

FWIW, I have 3 M1As.  I just bought my first Garand.  I don't know that the M1A is worth the extra $$.  For the price, you could get two Garands and rebarrel them each in 7.62 -- plus not have to spend $25 a pop for mags.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
New M1As dont have chrome lined barrels so look foan older one from 3 or 4 years back or more or try to find a good IDE MICHIGAN marked polytech M14S....if chrome lined barrels are not an issue get a current rack grade although for $1350 id spend the $600 more for an LRB or Fulton armory forged receiver GI parts built rack grade rifle.The M14 has a metered gas sytem so recoil is smoother and not as violent as the garand.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#3]

or more or try to find a good IDE MICHIGAN marked polytech M14S.....

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top