Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:50:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 6:52:11 AM EDT by KnightofTheOldeCode]
Any advice/suggestions for a newb getting into the M1A for the first time? I'm a Long time Garand shooter, It their much difference in recoil, sights, handling. Where can I find good GI parts kits?. I want to get as close to USGI as possible. Chromed lined barrel is a plus. I was looking at a Bush rifle. Any thoughts.Set me straight differant! lol. I wont be shooting highpower matches. I Just want a nice light rifle to shoot for fun, Maybe shoot the camp Perry John Garand shoot, shtf situation. I'm either thinking a standard or a bushy. I don't really want a Springfield Inc cast receiver.. I can't afford a $2000 buck fulton armory either though. I wish CMP would/could demile and sell the old M14's to civvies. I signed the petition but It'll never happen will it? lol. Any advice and suggestions on what to get and where to start would again be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:36:01 AM EDT
to get a used USGI rifle, prepare to spend $1200. Or, buy a more recent one with fewer USGI parts for about $1000.

FWIW, I have 3 M1As. I just bought my first Garand. I don't know that the M1A is worth the extra $$. For the price, you could get two Garands and rebarrel them each in 7.62 -- plus not have to spend $25 a pop for mags.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 1:11:31 PM EDT by pun]
New M1As dont have chrome lined barrels so look foan older one from 3 or 4 years back or more or try to find a good IDE MICHIGAN marked polytech M14S....if chrome lined barrels are not an issue get a current rack grade although for $1350 id spend the $600 more for an LRB or Fulton armory forged receiver GI parts built rack grade rifle.The M14 has a metered gas sytem so recoil is smoother and not as violent as the garand.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:09:54 AM EDT

or more or try to find a good IDE MICHIGAN marked polytech M14S.....

+1
Top Top