Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/27/2006 7:24:50 PM EDT
Thinkin about saving my money and taking a trip next thanksgiving with a buddy to do some deer hunting (for the first time). Can you legally hunt a deer in Texas with an M1A? Would i have to get a certain size mag such as a five round?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:42:02 AM EDT
According to Texas Parks and Wildlife, you can hunt deer with any centerfire.

It cannot be fully automatic and cannot have a sound suppressor.

No magazine restriction. I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

Most people use bolt actions or .30-30s though.

I hunt deer with my M14 every year. My unfair advantage...

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:23:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Valkyre:

No magazine restriction. I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

hr

hell yeah. I think here in LA i need to have a 5rd mag. Its good to know i can keep my 20rder in there... especially since between the morning and evening hunts we will be driving around the ranch to try and spook up the deer from bedding :)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:17:10 PM EDT

I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

my only question.......why would any decent hunter go with a 75 round drum magazine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 6:43:45 PM EDT by Joker18]

Originally Posted By deltafred:

I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

my only question.......why would any decent hunter go with a 75 round drum magazine.

I used to think that too but it's a moot point. In my many years deer hunting, the most shots I have seen taken at a single deer before it disappeared was 3 shots (aimed shots). You can take a 75 round mag., but all it gives one is extra weight. I did buy a 5 round mag for my SOCOM 16, but I bought the one that is the same size as the ten round. I also bought a 20 round mag spring and cut it to match the 10 round mag spring. After hunting season it allows me to convert my 5 round mag with the short spring and wood block to a 10 round mag. In the fall I convert it back to a 5 rounder.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:42:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By whatsthedotonmychst4:

hell yeah. I think here in LA i need to have a 5rd mag. Its good to know i can keep my 20rder in there... especially since between the morning and evening hunts we will be driving around the ranch to try and spook up the deer from bedding :)

Real sporting there....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:03:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Opesus:

Originally Posted By whatsthedotonmychst4:

hr

Real sporting there....

Kidding? You know how long it took me to actually train my truck to sniff out a deer? j/k

In all fairness, we let the deer run a ways (atleast 100+ yrds) before shooting. The deer are starting to overpopulate there.
Top Top