Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 7:24:50 PM EDT
Thinkin about saving my money and taking a trip next thanksgiving with a buddy to do some deer hunting (for the first time).  Can you legally hunt a deer in Texas with an M1A?  Would i have to get a certain size mag such as a five round?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
According to Texas Parks and Wildlife, you can hunt deer with any centerfire.

It cannot be fully automatic and cannot have a sound suppressor.

No magazine restriction. I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

Most people use bolt actions or .30-30s though.

I hunt deer with my M14 every year. My unfair advantage...

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No magazine restriction. I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

hr

hell yeah.  I think here in LA i need to have a 5rd mag.  Its good to know i can keep my 20rder in there... especially since between the morning and evening hunts we will be driving around the ranch to try and spook up the deer from bedding :)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

my only question.......why would any decent hunter go with a 75 round drum magazine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know a guy who uses an AK clone with a 75 round drum magazine.

my only question.......why would any decent hunter go with a 75 round drum magazine.

I used to think that too but it's a moot point. In my many years deer hunting, the most shots I have seen taken at a single deer before it disappeared was 3 shots (aimed shots). You can take a 75 round mag., but all it gives one is extra weight. I did buy a 5 round mag for my SOCOM 16, but I bought the one that is the same size as the ten round. I also bought a 20 round mag spring and cut it to match the 10 round mag spring. After hunting season it allows me to convert my 5 round mag with the short spring and wood block to a 10 round mag. In the fall I convert it back to a 5 rounder.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hell yeah.  I think here in LA i need to have a 5rd mag.  Its good to know i can keep my 20rder in there... especially since between the morning and evening hunts we will be driving around the ranch to try and spook up the deer from bedding :)

Real sporting there....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr

Real sporting there....

Kidding?  You know how long it took me to actually train my truck to sniff out a deer?  j/k

In all fairness, we let the deer run a ways (atleast 100+ yrds) before shooting.  The deer are starting to overpopulate there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top