Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:25:44 PM EDT
Ok the financial adviser (wife) said I could get a M1A in the next few months. I am looking for a full size rifle that will not break, I have heard lots of horror stories about SA. I want a rifle that will run like my AR and never need replacement parts unless I wear them out. It will be used for plinking with iron sites mostly but I also want it to be accurate enough that I can stick a good scope on it and use it as a backup to my Rem 700 Pss in a upcoming beginner sniper class. Any recommendations?

Omni
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:09:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 9:40:56 AM EDT by Red_Label]
Well, I asked the same questions as you did several months ago and had the same concerns. There were some who had little good to say about SA, but most said they're solid and will stand behind their product. So as I am typing this I am on my way out the door to go pickup my NIB SA M1A Standard. I've been making lay-away payments for three months now and it's high time I bring this baby home! Will be sighting her in tomorrow morning and running a few hundred rounds through her to test for reliability. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow night...

Picked her up. What a beauty. Wish I could blow-off work the rest of the day and get it sighted-in. But it'll have to wait. Also picked-up a battle pack of AUS surplus to sight it in with. Didn't want to buy more from that dealer because they want $36 for a 140-round pack. That seems dang steep to me. Will most-likely order a case or two online.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:45:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:42:28 PM EDT
Older Springfield Armory rifles have less problems. I have 2. One made in 88 and the other in 2000. Both work flawlessly. Just shop around. Springfield Armory rifles are good, and if you have problems more than likely they will make it right. Or you could a Polytech and change out the Bolt. I have a polytech as well and had all the parts in it changed out. I love it.

Max
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:26:26 PM EDT
Go see the GI parts for SA?s thread, theres some URL,s for pics. Be glad you are on this board BEFORE you dropped $1500 God help you if springfield gets your credit card #....That being said, if you are going to shoot for fun the SA will probably work, if you are like me and wanted an M1A to have a battle tested rifle to pass down for generations, get a real one. So far LRB and Smith Enterprises (if you can afford it) are the ones I saw with forged recievers and GI parts on 'em. I am going to use my springfield for a beater/truck gun and get a real battle rifle. Even though springfield are crooks and a**holes, they do shoot pretty damn straight...now if the bolt would just stay together at LEAST through the first case of ammo.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:04:08 PM EDT
LRB for the receiver and carefully, very carefully collect your parts. The off to Ted Brown, Ron Smith or Clint Mckee you go. I'm sure there's other great guys out there. Forgive me if I've left you out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:06:13 PM EDT
I looked at the LRB site and only saw standard rifles. Do they offer a Match version or is the Wilson barrel it? I liked that everything was GI and a forged receiver but will it be accurate enough? If not what will I need to do to it to get 1 - 1 1/2 MOA accuracy out of it?

Omni
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:27:25 PM EDT
My service grade LRB built by Ted Brown is a 1.5 MOA rifle with iron sights. My next LRB has a Crazy Horse SEI 18" barrel etc, After I pay it off I'll see how it shoots''' These things are worse than drugs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:07:43 AM EDT
On the match barrells, I think they said the wilson was match quality on the site. Be aware the heavier barells will exclude you from a number of stock options. I have a scout scope mount that wont fit either.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:56:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slash:
I would avoid SA like the plague. Look at LRB.

Please... spare me the drama.

I took my NIB SA Standard up to the range today and put a battle pack of AUS through it while checking for reliability and sighting it in. Yeah, it's only 140 rounds. But I had NOT ONE SINGLE MALFUNCTION of any kind. No extractor replacement, to exploding bolt, no nothing. Sighted-in dead-on. I know quality when I see it and there's NOTHING visibly wrong with the SA. Only time will tell if I ever have any issues with it. But some here talk as if new SA's are like some 20-year-old Rossi revolver that's been buried in the dirt for a decade. I've seen the same snobbery towards Taurus over the years, yet I've shot over 1000 rounds of .44mag through my two Taurus M44's with nary a hiccup. I expect to do the same with the SA M1A as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:19:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Label:
Please... spare me the drama.

Only time will tell if I ever have any issues with it. But some here talk as if new SA's are like some 20-year-old Rossi revolver that's been buried in the dirt for a decade. I've seen the same snobbery towards Taurus over the years, yet I've shot over 1000 rounds of .44mag through my two Taurus M44's with nary a hiccup. I expect to do the same with the SA M1A as well.

I have nothing against SAinc but made the decision many years ago that I wanted a forged action M14 not a cast one. Finally I can get one made by LRB.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:04:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 9:32:54 PM EDT by Slash]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:13:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slash:
I would avoid SA like the plague.

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:35:33 AM EDT
I've owned a few SA Inc M1A's, and have an Armscorp M14NM, as well as an LRB Arms M14SA. They're all fine rifles.

IMHO, You get what you pay for.

My current baby is my LRB. It is a supperb rifle. I am a Purist, when it comes to military rifles.

I spent a little over 11 months buying and hand picking out parts for the LRB. When I had enough funds and parts compiled; I had Lou, and Paul, at LRB, barrel an action for me using my TRW Bolt and Barrel. It was cheaper than buying a complete rifle.

I brought the barreled action home and finished the build myself. It was fun to do and is one of the nicest rifles I've ever owned, and is by far the most expensive.

But...
You get what you pay for. LRB's receivers are machined from raw forgings following Rock Island Arsenal blueprints. I believe it is from Winchester.
Anyway, I did a lot of research into the different receiver makers to find one that I liked best. I looked for finish and heel stampings. I also looked for similarities as compared to a real de-Milled USGI receiver.
I liked the Older SA Inc, M1A, but didn't want to buy a used rifle. So I considered Smith Enterprise, and LRB Arms.

LRB, is close by to my home so they won. Their complete rifles, as well as Smith's are upwards around 2K. The barreled action was like 8 or 900 bucks.

My .02 worth is, pay the money now and get as much if not all USGI as you can. It is only going to get more expensive as the years continue. LRB complete rifles are all USGI. I've been to the shop and had long talks with Lou, the ownwer.

Unlike SA Inc., who only has Non-Chrome lined barrels, LRB, has new manufactured, GI Contour barrels in both 22" standard and 18.5" Bush lengths. They can be bought chromed or not. They are either Wilson, or Criterion.

If you can get a like new USGI barrel for a decent price. Buy it! But if you can't, these others will work great.
My next bulid will be another LRB, but with an 18.5" LRB Barrel.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:46:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 5:50:53 AM EDT by H2O_MAN]

Originally Posted By Omni:
I am looking for a full size rifle that will not break, I want a rifle that will run like my AR and never need replacement parts unless I wear them out. It will be used for plinking with iron sites mostly but I also want it to be accurate enough that I can stick a good scope on it and use it as a backup to my Rem 700 Pss in a upcoming beginner sniper class. Any recommendations?

Omni

LRB or ChiCom receiver, USGI parts (trigger group, bolt and op rod) then off
to Smith Enterprise, Inc. for the build. Make sure you get all of the phase II mods.
These mods will ensure parts don't break and take a long time to wear out.
If SEI can't supply a 22" chrome lined barrel you have a few to choose from.

I had SEI build a MK14 on my Springfield receiver an it's flawless. SEI is building
a second rifle for me on a ChiCom (Norinco) receiver.
Top Top