Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 3:14:46 PM EDT
I just got my first Garand a week ago and I love shooting it! I can't explain why exactly but it is now one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

Ok, now with the questions.

I have some other old military surplus rifles like Mauser’s and SKS's. When I purchased these other rifles they were all caked with cosmoline. I read a few methods of cleaning them and so far I have been filling up my bathtub with boiling hot water and tide and putting the stocks in the water and basically just letting the cosmoline melt off and scrubbing where it was needed. The stocks usually come out looking like bare wood so I just put a coat of linseed oil on them. This has worked great on these other rifles. My question is can I do this with the Garand stock? It’s not covered in cosmoline and it’s in pretty good condition but I think if this process works as good on the Garand stock as it has the others then I will end up with a really nice looking Garand.

My next question is where exactly should I put grease? I have never used grease on any of my other rifles but I was told the Garand should get grease in a few critical locations. So where should I grease? Do I need grease or can I just use a good gun oil?

Sorry for the novel. :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a copy of the Field Manual for the M1, really, you do.

Yes, you can soak your stock in hot water.
Yes, you NEED GREASE in a few areas.  Where the op rod contacts the receiver.  Where the op rod contacts the bolt.  Where the op rod rubs on the side of the barrel.  I do not believe this is a complete list, so get that Field manual.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
On a Garand, if it rubs or slides, it gets grease, if it rotates, oil.  I put a couple or drops of CLP on the oprod piston as well.  

Also, make sure the firing pin cavity in the bolt is clean and clear of crud and cosmoline.  The pin can stick due to crud.  This is another area I use a drop of clp.

Here is a link to the CMP Page On Care and Cleaning

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
That portion of the CMP page was very helpful. I also downloaded the manual.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
With regards to the stock, I did a similar strip and refinish of a Garand stock except I sprayed it with Oven Off prior to the hot water treatment. It stinks, but is very very very effective..
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I was reading some of the articles on CMPs website and they actually say not to dip the stock in hot water or use ovencleaner. They said steam was ok thought. Dipping my other stocks has never hurt them as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top